Aggressive Cinnamon Queen Pullet

Angelfishie

Songster
Jul 24, 2019
Beggs, OK
My flock of 25 pullets and one cockerel are 19 weeks old. Some of the girls look about ready to come into lay. They are all generally friendly birds, with the exception of one very aggressive cinnamon queen. It’s as if she identifies as a cockerel. 😂 She takes a defensive stance when I enter the run to feed them. She stalks around me when I’m giving attention to other birds and will peck at my feet and legs. If I try to reach for her or step in her direction she puffs up and extends her neck, ready for a fight.

She’s the only hen I’ve ever had to exhibit this aggressive behavior. I’ve tried breaking her of it by carrying her around until she calms, but seems to have no effect. I’m hoping it’s just pre-lay hormones, perhaps

Anyone else have aggressive hens? Do you keep them and just tolerate it, or is it off to freezer camp?

She’s young enough to still be tender to eat if she doesn’t straighten up.

I had a Black Sex Link that tried that crap just before she started laying. She did it once when I was filling the waterers. I dumped a two gallon bucket of water over her. She never did it again. Her reaction was priceless. Not sure if it was the indignity of getting soaked or my hysterical laughter, but she adjusted her attitude right away. If I have one that does that again, I'll get her with a Super Soaker.

Do you hand feed?

I'd peck her back.
Have had this happen several times, mostly with hand fed chicks often as they come of age and get spunky. It's pretty easily curbed with calm and deliberate determination.

I peck them back, on the head or anywhere I can reach, with the tips of thumb and first 2 fingers, as hard and fast as many times as I can before they get away. Well, not hard enough to hurt them, just startle them and let them you mean business. That's what another chicken would do, so they understand that kind of communication.

If that doesn't work after a couple applications, I hold them down to the ground with my hand on their back until they submit....again firmly enough to get the job done but not hurt them....add a few finger pecks and/or tug on the feathers on the back of their neck.

Do you hand feed?

I'd peck her back.
Have had this happen several times, mostly with hand fed chicks often as they come of age and get spunky. It's pretty easily curbed with calm and deliberate determination.

I peck them back, on the head or anywhere I can reach, with the tips of thumb and first 2 fingers, as hard and fast as many times as I can before they get away. Well, not hard enough to hurt them, just startle them and let them you mean business. That's what another chicken would do, so they understand that kind of communication.

If that doesn't work after a couple applications, I hold them down to the ground with my hand on their back until they submit....again firmly enough to get the job done but not hurt them....add a few finger pecks and/or tug on the feathers on the back of their neck.
I do hand feed them scratch in the evenings. Yesterday I held her to the ground firmly until she calmed, let her up and did it again. I’ll continue this method and hopefully she will figure out who’s boss.

“She” may be a late blooming cockerel perhaps? That said, I’ve had some birds that I thought were really mean become total lap birds after they began laying so it’s possible she may settle down! If “she” really is a she. Good luck!

(Can you take a pic of this bird, let us have a look just in case it might be a cockerel?)
Re aggressive hens, or cockerels, after trying many other options, I have found it’s a relief to re-home or cull them. Right now all my chickens are kind to each other—what a difference it makes having a peaceful flock!!
She’s 100% definitely not a cockerel. She’s identical in size and stature to my other cinnamon queens, and her comb is actually smaller than a couple of the others. I think she’s just mean.

(Can you take a pic of this bird, let us have a look just in case it might be a cockerel?)
Re aggressive hens, or cockerels, after trying many other options, I have found it’s a relief to re-home or cull them. Right now all my chickens are kind to each other—what a difference it makes having a peaceful flock!!

Back
Top Bottom