aggressive Cochin Hen Help!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ducclelover10, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Ducclelover10

Ducclelover10 Overrun With Chickens

Our Cochin is crazy she will chase you and bite you. We really need some help figuring out how to show her who is boss.
    We might get rid of her if nobody has any great ideas so please help!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Scoop her up in a short handled fishing net and carry her around for a while.

3. nova022

nova022 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2012
    I would treat her the same as an aggressive rooster. Stand up to her and never run from her. Pick her up as Sourland said and carry her.

4. Ducclelover10

Maybe there is just nothing we can do. The more we try to correct her behavior the worse it gets. The fishing net would be a great idea for any other normal aggressive chicken but she is just unbreakable [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

5. nova022

nova022 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2012
    In that case I would re-home her if you can find someone willing to take an aggressive bird.

6. Ducclelover10

I'll try standing up to her i'll see if that works. She might peck holes in my feet but I have to try.

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If you stand up to her with a half hearted attitude you just feed her dominance. The idea of carrying her around in a net is that you are not feeding her anger - you are (or the net is) subduing her in a manner to which she is unable to react. I tend to agree with nova022.

8. Ducclelover10

Thanks for the ideas we'll see how it goes.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  9. Coralee

Coralee Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2012
    Woodbine Georgia
    You might try getting a plant misting bottle (garden section, real cheap) and fill it with water. When she runs at you, give her a spray. You don't have to soak her down, just enough to get her attention. I've used this method successfully for years on cats, and have been using with some success with an aggressive hen who took a dislike to a another hen.

10. Ducclelover10

Good idea I have a spray bottle I think I'll just use that.........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by