Aggressive cockerel or normal leave him alone?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lil Jon s mama, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Lil Jon s mama

Lil Jon s mama Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2016
    NEPA
    Good morning I was just wondering what exactly is considered aggressive rooster behavior. I have an EE bantam cockerel Lil Jon & an EE standard cockerel Sanchez Peepers (almost 14weeks old).
    Lil Jon is waaaaay more dominant and rooster like. He crows and makes all rooster sounds and he does rooster wing dance. Plus he LOOOOVES mating with my hens who are three times bigger than him.
    Anyhow I've been trying to make all my chickens tame. I haven't had either rooster challenge me at all and I handle them often. Buuuut lil Jon will crow while I'm carrying him around and he will mate right in front of me. I keep stopping him to show I'm the dominate one & they are my hens. Now I'm not sure if that's necessary. Do those behaviors count as aggressive ???

2. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    No, in my experience that behaviour doesn't count as aggressive. My roosters crow and mate in front of me, that's their job, but they don't challenge me and always get out of my way when I walk at them. I've had aggressive roosters in the past and been flogged on more than one occasion and managed to retrain one but not the other, so I can speak from experience of both compliant and aggressive behaviour.

I personally do not handle my cockerels unless they do something that warrants being taken down a peg, but otherwise I leave them to get on with their job and I get on with mine. I don't think it is a good idea to routinely carry them around, but that's just my opinion.

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

If he is flicking his wing around you and mounting hens, he is being aggressive towards you....This year I decided to not keep a Rooster because the one I had last year attacked me daily....
    Only you know or will know when its time for him to go?

4. Lil Jon s mama

Jul 21, 2016
    NEPA
    [​IMG] Ok Ill leave the poor guy alone he's just doing his job Thanks

5. Lil Jon s mama

Jul 21, 2016
    NEPA
    Yes
    . Yes he does hmmm then I shouldn't leave him alone. Guess I'll just be very present around flock but maybe not carry him around so much.

6. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Never turn your back to him or allow children near him either....Full Rooster on your property....They live to only do two things....Breed and Protect the flock..Roosters are mean..

I wish you good luck

7. Lil Jon s mama

Jul 21, 2016
    NEPA
    Thanks for advice. I've heard bantam roosters can be mean and I'll definitely watch him close. So far Lil Jon is great with people my nieces carry him around to. However I know he is not all grown up yet and things can change. I never leave kids alone with my flock. For their safety (both children & chicken's [​IMG])

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Exactly!

9. Lil Jon s mama

Jul 21, 2016
    NEPA
    Ok so I lied, I still carry Lil Jon around first thing in the morning. I'll grab him let my hens out then go fill bird feeders. I guess it's pretty obvious I'm not a farmer & my chickens are pets. I'm pretty sure lil Jon enjoys his walk around the yard since he gets to see everywhere he is not allowed to go. He no longer crows while I'm carrying him and is very calm (until we get back to hen house then he wants to be set free to get back to his girlfriends). I have stopped removing him from the hens EXCEPT when i hear a hen screaming(usually Ginny) or he goes after someone who is molting. Those young guys go after EVERYONE After lots of BYC research I don't believe my roosters are aggressive they are just roosters and they don't view me as head of the flock I'm just the lady who brings them treats. And since you don't bite the hand that feeds you they are very respectful. Thanks for all the advice sorry if I don't follow it. Oh and I only give Sanchez one hug a day before I put him in his house at night since he refuses to go in himself (or does he just want a hug)

10. Lil Jon s mama

Jul 21, 2016
    NEPA
    Ok lesson learned. Had to learn it the hard way though Lil Jon bit my lip while I was carrying him around. Holding a rooster that close to my face is not a good idea

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by