Aggressive Cockerel

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Heffer Nite, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Heffer Nite

Heffer Nite Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2012
    Im having some problems with a lone cockerel. He lives on my pig yard, it was as quarantine at first as he was bort as a she and once he started crowing i knew he couldn't join the group as i already have a cock. However he is part of the family now and loves hanging out with the pigs and goats.

The problem is he attacks some people (never me) and all dogs (big or small) I am planning on letting my silkie girl move in with him when she starts laying and im wondering if this might make him worse? And dose anyone know if there is anything i can do about him attacking the dogs as i would love to be able to take them down there again, but as it is he has 2 miniature pinschers, a beagle and a dalmatian petrified

This is the offender, Rizzo

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  2. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    There are a lot of very nice roosters in the world--too many to keep an aggressive one. Yes, he doesn't attack you, but he could seriously hurt someone else.

You can try to retrain him, and there are many on BYC that would advocate such a thing. Personally, I would cull him. You certainly don't want to breed from him, because the aggression can have a genetic basis and you would be perpetuating the problem.

Sorry.

3. juststruttin

juststruttin Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2010
    California
    I'd get rid of him. There is no need to take risks with him hurting someone or something. My friends dog's eye was severely damaged by her rooster. The dog did not provoke the attack. There are plenty of great roos out there looking for homes so why not give them a chance and put this boy in freezer camp.

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

And yes, his behavior may very well escalate when he has a hen of his own that he naturally feels the need to protect.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Invite that roo to dinner.

6. Heffer Nite

Heffer Nite Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2012
    Thank you all very much for replying, i was thinking that there isnt much i would be able to do with him so im not suprised at the answers. Just thought id try and give him a chance. And il put everyones mind at rest, im not going to breed the chap. The silkie girl is being kept as a broody hen to put eggs under, I'l be eating all her eggs :eek:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by