1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Aggressive d Uccle Chick (PIC)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sunnychick, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Sunnychick

Sunnychick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2007
    Florida
    My chicks (sultans and d uccle's) are 4 weeks old and I have one that bites me. He cocks his head and puffs out his chest and goes for my hand. I couldn't believe a little chick would bite. I was hoping to keep one roo but not sure now. Any ideas on how to tame this little guy?

Oh, the black mark on his head is how I marked him.

Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Awww, that little stinker is begging to be cuddled. You're going to have to hold him and a lot. Don't let him get away and hold him close so he feels secure. I say he, but it very well could be a fiesty pullet too, so don't give up hope on that little one yet. Their interaction as a baby is what usually determines their behavior as an adult. The more lovin', the better.

I don't see a peck as aggression when they are this young. The chick could just be rushing over to see what you brought him today, hoping to be the first to get the pickins. Offer some food out of your hand and see if you can get the little one to start pickin that instead of you. I like 'outspoken' chicks, as they are usually the ones that are easiest to pick up and handle at some point. The ones that run away always frustrate me. Good luck with them and have fun.

Jody

3. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    Just an FYI, but I raised 6 Millie Fleur d'uccle roosters and all but one was mean as the devil. The hens were some of the sweetest I have ever had.

4. Sunnychick

Sunnychick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2007
    Florida
    I can tell you that it's not just a peck. He got hold of my hand yesterday and held on. If I add food to the tray or try to catch him he will come after my hand. A real little stinker for sure! I sure hate hearing they can be little devils but good to know. I'll try holding him more and see if he will change. Thanks for the response.

5. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    Quote:Is this true just for the mille fleurs or all bantam roosters? The thought of breeding crossed my mind at one time. How about a Japanese bantam rooster?

6. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

My bantam roo is a mean little son of a gun... I would never let a child in their run unless he was caged up. But my little Mille Fleur hen is sweet as could be.

7. Sharisr32

Sharisr32 Egg Killer ;)

Jan 14, 2007
    OH/PA Boarder
    I have had the evil roo it jumped up to bite me -

I kinda see chicks as little piles of personality and no different then people some are just YUCKY in the disposition department - Fortunately I have a neighbor who has a million acres and i pet them out to her I do not breed them at all since selective breeding is also based on personality- I won't keep them-

8. cookinmom

cookinmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    My neighbor had some bantams, and the hens were sweet as pie, but that rooster was evil! He met his end when he stalked my neighbor's wife one too many times: he hid under the car until she walked by and then ran out and bit and scratched her. I wonder if large breed roosters are not quite so mean.

9. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I had a really mean standard size Ameraucana. Woooo, that boy could attack and fierce. He drew blood one time...and then he was gone. I've got another one who is a good boy, so who knows what ticks them off.

Also have humongo buff orp roos and they are sweet as pie. I wouldn't give them up for nothing.

I don't think all banty roos are like that...you all just had some bad experiences. Like everything, there's always a bad apple in the bunch. Ok, maybe Carla's group was an exception to the rule. lol

Jody

10. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I have one bad bantam roo and I've had a bad RIR. The RIR really attacked my mom good one day, and it was over the fence for him (there is 1200 acres plus many coyote and fox families "over the fence").
    She didn't him to hurt anyone else.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by