aggressive dorking

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MissAbraKadabra, Aug 7, 2013.

1. MissAbraKadabra

MissAbraKadabra Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2013
    Tampa Florida
    [​IMG]

I'm almost sure she's a girl but she attacks me, I don't know much about pecking order but my oldest chicken now eats on the ground bowl and my dorking eats at the bowl on the shelf , as well as my red sleeps in a basket, my dorking perches above her on the perch

2. MissAbraKadabra

Aug 6, 2013
    Tampa Florida
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]here are some photos of her over the past few months

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Yes, she looks like a pullet. Its odd that she's attacking you though; mine don't attack me!

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    How old is she? What do you mean by she attacks you. Dorkings are fairly broody and a lot of hens get pretty peevish when they are broody.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    That is a hen.

6. MissAbraKadabra

Aug 6, 2013
    Tampa Florida
    i have a video of her attacking me but i don't want to post it onto you-tube plus my language is rather vulgar, but needless to say she rears up and attacks my left calf {i do have a rather large ankle tattoo that wraps all the way around} but that's not what she is aiming for and when i stick my foot out in hopes to fend her off or keep her back she just starts making noises and eventually jumps up to attack me, Ive noticed lately my older chicken tends to stay closer to me when I'm in the yard and tends to keep the baby at bay or at least in some sort of order keeping her from jumping at me, she doesnt struggle when i hold her shes rather calm, but im getting tired of my legs being all scrapped up, and then i start thinking about all the things the chickens scratch and dig in that is getting put into my leg as im bleeding from the attack

7. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    How long has she been acting this way?

8. MissAbraKadabra

Aug 6, 2013
    Tampa Florida
    just this last week or so, not only did i lose my pit bull that use to protect my chickens outside, i lost my indoor dog as well and my dorking has had interaction with the dog since the first day i brought her home, my dog would try to lick the chicken thru her cage and the chicken would wait til the dogs tongue slid thru the gaps of the cage and peck her, once my baby chicken was yard size they would still continue to play thru the wire that kept the dorking separate from the yard, and once they shared the yard they would chase each other around or just be near to each other in general and i had to put her down and not long after that is when the aggression started

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    How old is she? Depending on her age it might just be hormones. If she is coming into laying it's normal for them to go a little crazy lol think teenagers [​IMG]

When my pullets were being aggressive what worked for me was physically holding them down. I've read other posts on here from people who do the same thing, others will carry their chickens around for periods of time. You've got to show her that you are the boss. It doesn't matter if she is top hen, YOU are the boss.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Sounds like you need to review the threads on keeping roosters. She's giving you plenty of warning she's going to attack you and you need to either step up and make her believe you're the boss, or rehome her or cull her. Just cause she's a hen is NO reason to let an animal attack, and she won't just get over it. She now thinks she's the boss of you and it will take a lot to convince her otherwise.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by