Aggressive Drake Mating (who to separate)

Indiana Dunn

Chirping
May 23, 2017
I have one drake in my flock with 5 females, 2 of which are fairly young (almost 2 months), yet he is only going after one of the young ones. He is incessantly chasing her and has given her a black eye, but he doesn't have interest in the other four so she can't catch a break. Should I separate this girl so he will move on, or separate him to calm him down?

7A5653C0-D15F-4526-88FD-55814905240D.jpeg
I never allow my Drake with young Hens till they are about 4 months old or wait till he is in eclipse.
Agree , only really “safe” time with a drake is when he’s in full eclipse. My Saxony, Herman, lost all his blue-gray head feathers, drake feathers and now even shows an eye stripe like his girls. He’s mister mellow now and his girls have all their neck feathers coming back in. Drastic change.
He’s been with my 2 month old girls and completely ignores them.
Only weird thing is that a couple of his ladies have started tussling with each other when they come in a night now.They always got along before. Any idea why?

View attachment 1817368
Agree , only really “safe” time with a drake is when he’s in full eclipse. My Saxony, Herman, lost all his blue-gray head feathers, drake feathers and now even shows an eye stripe like his girls. He’s mister mellow now and his girls have all their neck feathers coming back in. Drastic change.
He’s been with my 2 month old girls and completely ignores them.
Only weird thing is that a couple of his ladies have started tussling with each other when they come in a night now.They always got along before. Any idea why?
Just normal Duck behaviour and both are bossy. Nothing to worry about..

Back
Top Bottom