Aggressive Drake Please Help!

ladykalee

In the Brooder
Mar 26, 2017
I bought three ducklings in March and it turned out I had two drakes and one female. I ordered two more females to even this out a bit and now have the three originals at 5 months and the babies at 7 weeks. My older three get along fabulously. My created pekin male is the problem. He chases me and bites at my toes, this usually stops when I pick him up. I'm not as worried about myself as I am with the two babies. He is awful to them. I have been slowly trying to introduce them( the babies are in a separate area from the other three). Two of them couldn't care less but the crested chases after them every time and tries to bite them. It almost looks like mating material, but super aggressive. My question is will he calm down and eventually accept them? If so, how do I assist in this? I cannot leave them all alone together, I'm afraid he will kill the babies (7 week olds). He definitely is the leader of his little flock. I don't want to have to re-home him, but I will if that is my only option. Please give me any suggestions, please and thank you.

I bought three ducklings in March and it turned out I had two drakes and one female. I ordered two more females to even this out a bit and now have the three originals at 5 months and the babies at 7 weeks. My older three get along fabulously. My created pekin male is the problem. He chases me and bites at my toes, this usually stops when I pick him up. I'm not as worried about myself as I am with the two babies. He is awful to them. I have been slowly trying to introduce them( the babies are in a separate area from the other three). Two of them couldn't care less but the crested chases after them every time and tries to bite them. It almost looks like mating material, but super aggressive. My question is will he calm down and eventually accept them? If so, how do I assist in this? I cannot leave them all alone together, I'm afraid he will kill the babies (7 week olds). He definitely is the leader of his little flock. I don't want to have to re-home him, but I will if that is my only option. Please give me any suggestions, please and thank you.

My late drake did the same thing to me. It was worst in spring but would continue until the end of summer which is breeding and hatching season so I tried not to get too frustrated and the same as you would pick him up and he'd get embarrass or something and stop. As for him picking on your younger ducks he did that a little for a week or two but only with the two males. If you are able to let them all out in your yard together and keep an eye that way if the need to they can keep away from him

Your 7 week olds are too young to be with your drake he very much could kill them.

Keep them separated but like your doing so everyone can see each other and give your lil ones about 2-3 more months before putting them together they will be bigger and old enough for mating then 4.5-5 months. Every so often let everyone out together when you can supervise and give treats so everyone is distracted by eating if your drake doesn't behave he gets to stay inside while the rest are out having fun.

My drake is usually very behaved around me we went through the biting earlier in his life he is 6yr now but this morning he came out ready for something I have no idea what but he kept attacking me It took a good 5 mins of holding him down on his belly hand behind neck and knee on his back [he is strong] to get him to calm down finally he did. This is unusual for him. Drakes need to be taught not in a harmful way that they aren't superior to us. And we are not part of their harem.

Last edited:
My late drake did the same thing to me. It was worst in spring but would continue until the end of summer which is breeding and hatching season so I tried not to get too frustrated and the same as you would pick him up and he'd get embarrass or something and stop. As for him picking on your younger ducks he did that a little for a week or two but only with the two males. If you are able to let them all out in your yard together and keep an eye that way if the need to they can keep away from him
Thank you I will try letting them all out together. Thanks again!

That nasty aggressive streak that runs through many drakes is just repugnant to me. The reason I have ducks is exactly the opposite of aggression! And while ducks lack the basic intelligence to have emotions such as embarrassment, they do respond to power. Good ol' Miss Lydia knows how to put her knees into the answer!! I would definitely listen to her!

I had one like this had to keep the baby ones out until around three months then put them together he tried to pick on them but soon learned they have to live together x

Your 7 week olds are too young to be with your drake he very much could kill them.

Keep them separated but like your doing so everyone can see each other and give your lil ones about 2-3 more months before putting them together they will be bigger and old enough for mating then 4.5-5 months. Every so often let everyone out together when you can supervise and give treats so everyone is distracted by eating if your drake doesn't behave he gets to stay inside while the rest are out having fun.

My drake is usually very behaved around me we went through the biting earlier in his life he is 6yr now but this morning he came out ready for something I have no idea what but he kept attacking me It took a good 5 mins of holding him down on his belly hand behind neck and knee on his back [he is strong] to get him to calm down finally he did. This is unusual for him. Drakes need to be taught not in a harmful way that they aren't superior to us. And we are not part of their harem.
Thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom