Aggressive Drake

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mixedflockmomma, Mar 1, 2013.

1. mixedflockmomma

mixedflockmomma Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2012
    We started with 1 drake and 2 females, and all was fine. We recently added 2 more females to the flock. Now all our drake wants to do is chase the new girls, while completely ignoring the older girls. My older girls are very receptive to him. But, my younger girls run from him, because he is very aggressive with them, to the point that the have very few feathers left on the back of their necks. We have tried to seperate him from them for weeks on end and that works for a while. but then he goes back to chasing them. Any ideas on how to get him to stop? Or would I be better off putting him in the freezer?

2. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    How long ago did you intro the new ones? Did you properly intro them? How old are they?

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Good questions!

4. mixedflockmomma

Sep 15, 2012
    I hatched them myself. And they are roughly 4 months old. I kept them in a pen with a heat lamp, where they could see and be seen by everyone, until they completely feathered out. After that they were turned loose in the yard with everyone else. There where no issues with anyone until the recent issues with the drake.

5. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    He sounds like he is exerting his dominance with them. Flock dynamics change whenever new members are added. You can try giving it time to see how it works out. Give the females places that they can hide and get away from him. Otherwise, you may need to rethink him or the new members.

Are you 100% that they are females?

6. mixedflockmomma

Sep 15, 2012
    They are definitely female. Gonna try putting them in with my muscovies. My Muscovy drake is very sweet.

7. ~*Sprye*~

~*Sprye*~ New Egg

Sep 11, 2008
    Cascade, MD
    Our Muscovy Drake, born at the end of May beginning of June, is being very aggressive toward me and my boyfriend. There is one female so I would think he would be ok but he is not. He tried nipping at me today. I noticed if I try to touch him he gets this way especially. And if I don't he just sort of flares out his wings, hisses and looks like he wants to charge me or my bf. Is there anything that can be done besides not trying to pet him?

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Very normal for a drake going into puberty, they are full of themselves and want to let everyone know it. Best not to try to pet him, and if he gets aggressive with either of you do what another drake would do. flatten him out on the ground on his belly not his back. Put your hand at base of his neck and at lower end of back and gently not forcefully hold him down till he stops fighting to get up. you are straddling him. If you do this to him every time he starts he will eventually get the idea it's not acceptable behavior. You can also try the broom when he comes towards you acting like he may attack put the broom out between you and him. The most important part of this is being consistent. I am not advocating being forceful just giving him the idea you are the flock leader not him. I had a drake acted the same way and he had 3 girls, but after working with him he finally got the message and is a nice drake now. None of my other drakes have been this way only this one because we had him in the house and he was confused about what his role was with us and the flock.

1 person likes this.
  9. ~*Sprye*~

~*Sprye*~ New Egg

Sep 11, 2008
    Cascade, MD
    Thank you so much for this advice!!!! We will give this a try and in the way you have suggested..:) We love our ducks a lot and so this is very helpful!!!

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    keep us updated on how it goes.. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by