• Total voters

Americano Blue

Make everyday count
6 Years
Apr 14, 2014
(Insert Something Sarcastic)
My Coop
My Coop
My Muscovy Drake has been acting aggressively to his favorite hen. I really don't think he's trying to mate since its cold and going into winter. He has always been mean to my other girl but never this one. He will grab the back of her neck and hold her down, then drag her when she tries to get away. Is he trying to mate or??? I'm really confused since I've never had a drake before, just hens.

My drakes just started trying to mate about a month ago and they are still going at it. Sometimes they will even try with other drakes.

Unfortunately, that sounds like pretty normal drake behavior. They get a little crazy when those hormones get going. It's tough to be a lady duck. :/ You'll just want to keep an eye on her to make sure he isn't hurting her (causing open wounds or ripping all her feathers out on her neck). If it gets that bad you might want to separate him for awhile to give her a break.

Unfortunately, that sounds like pretty normal drake behavior. They get a little crazy when those hormones get going. It's tough to be a lady duck. :/ You'll just want to keep an eye on her to make sure he isn't hurting her (causing open wounds or ripping all her feathers out on her neck). If it gets that bad you might want to separate him for awhile to give her a break.

ok.

When I watch my duck flock like a creeper while they hang in the woods, I notice similar behavior. I have seen my ducks mate, and at least for me this was not it. The younger male tries to take the position of the head hen because he is not strong enough to fight the head drake man. He does a weird head movement and chases her, then bites. He does nothing like mating. He will do it to the younger boys and the other hens, but never to the two older drakes. He is working his way to the top, especially important in the winter so he gets a chance to mate in the spring. Maybe this does not apply to you?

When I watch my duck flock like a creeper while they hang in the woods, I notice similar behavior. I have seen my ducks mate, and at least for me this was not it. The younger male tries to take the position of the head hen because he is not strong enough to fight the head drake man. He does a weird head movement and chases her, then bites. He does nothing like mating. He will do it to the younger boys and the other hens, but never to the two older drakes. He is working his way to the top, especially important in the winter so he gets a chance to mate in the spring. Maybe this does not apply to you?
i only have one drake. I was wayching them today an he only does it two one of the girls. I was told they needed water to mate but thier pool is put up for the winter.

Back
Top Bottom