Aggressive Ducks!!!!!! Help!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by CountryGirl1984, Aug 1, 2013.

1. CountryGirl1984

CountryGirl1984 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2013
    Ok so I have 2 ducks that are very mean. When I got them they were sweet. But they are getting worse and worse everyday. They attack my feet and won't let me walk. They will even try to jump up and bite me. They get my skin and give me bite marks! I love them and don't want to get rid of them but also want them to be able to walk around the yard. I don't want to lock them in their pen all day. What do I do??? The more I push them away with my foot the more they want to attack.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Boys? I think they want to start a family.[​IMG]

A number of forum members have done well by picking the ducks up and holding them like a baby, for several minutes at a time, or turning them onto their backs and pinning them down for a while. They need to understand you are the big one and not to be messed with.

3. CountryGirl1984

CountryGirl1984 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2013
    Yes they are all male. I have tried pinning them flat in the ground..do they need to be on their backs when you do this? I will keep picking them up.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    From what I read, you pin them on their backs,****wrong - I misunderstood - see Miss Lydia's note below ******* or hold them upside down in your arms like a baby. Depends on the size of the duck and the person, I think.

I hold Bean like a baby, but he's only about 5 pounds.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    you pin them down on their bellies just hold at upper body and lower back and hold them there, I have even straddled some of my big drakes, not sitting on them but to get better leverage. From what I read on the goose thread about water fowl it is not good to lay them on their backs something about pressure on the internal organs.

6. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    I tried that with my KC Drake last year during the height of his aggression. The only thing that worked was getting more females to balance the flock. With him as my only drake, he was the sweetest drake ever.

7. Dartanion

Dartanion Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    Take a broom and protect your feet.When they attack smack them off with the broom.Show them who's boss.Hope it helps.:)

8. duck4u

duck4u Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2013
    lol what?
    thats abusing your ducks. Don't do that. And I hope you don't do that either.

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I have pushed my drake off of my foot with the broom before hopefully that's what the intention of the op was. not physical abuse.

10. Dartanion

Dartanion Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    It's not abuse it's discipline,I manage my coop that way,and mine are very well behaved.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by