Aggressive ducks + outcasting

pigeonpuddle

In the Brooder
Aug 6, 2022
recently one of my ducks passed away from a raccoon. she was the boss, everyone respected her. she and my 2 other ducks were raised together and were best friends (a buff orpington, blue runner and welsh harlequin). i hatched 5 new ducks and they were very aggressive to my other 3 as early as 1 month old. the boss hen would fight back and put them in their place, but my oldest 2 won’t do that. they just allow themselves to get beat up. my welsh harlequin has been the main one subjected to this, they’ve been pulling out her neck feathers (not to where you can see the skin, but i dont want it to get to that point) the boss hen would defend the other 2, but without her here anymore i worried about what the younger ones are going to do to them. they’ve been outcasting my welshie, and it seems my blue runner is slowly being accepted. i’ll see my welsh or on the other side of the yard with everyone else in a group on the other side. my buff was her partner, they we’re two peas in a pod, i know this must be hard for her especially since she had to witness it.
they wont let my 2 eldest get in the pool (even though we have two), don’t let them eat, and i don’t know what to do anymore.

the younger ones are the whole reason the boss is gone in the first place, actually. we had a spare coop i started locking them up in at night, separated from the other 5 to prevent bulling since i noticed the welsh had started loosing her neck feathers. but clearly, it wasn’t safe enough and a raccoon ended up getting in.
rehoming the 5 ducks isn’t really an option since they will most likely just become someone’s dinner and i just can’t stand thinking about that since im very fond of them. they were the first ducklings i ever hatched myself, ive grown attached to them. we have a small backyard, i've been wanting to separate the yard into two sections using fencing but the yard really isn’t big enough.
what should i do? will they grow out of this, or will they always be aggressive to other ducks? (the youngest are 3 months old, my eldest are turning 1 year in one month.)

I would have them separate but seeing each other for now. I use dog crates in the coop and a temprary pen in the yard. It might take some time but I expect that the ducks will accept each other and come to a workable relationship, in time

Back
Top Bottom