Gerby26

Chirping
Apr 22, 2020
I own 3 Muscovy Females and 2 Goose Females. Recently the dominant Muscovy(Dotty), has been bullying (chasing, harassing, etc.) one of my other Muscovy's(Penny). Penny has started not staying with the flock and instead watching them from across the yard and sitting alone, Dotty however is completely fine with the other muscovy(Piper). Today when putting my ducks away I noticed Penny had blood on the side of her face, after catching and examining her I found she had cuts on her legs and feet too, with a scratch on her face. I am guessing these were inflicted by Dotty. What should I do to help ease this aggression, so Penny can go back to spending time with the flock. I have placed Dotty in time out tonight(a dog crate) inside the coop, so she cant further damage Penny. Thank you for reading, if anyone has any advice it would be appreciated.

Other notes, they are allowed to free-range all day in a large fenced in yard, they get treats of lettuce, broccoli, and peas. They eat Mazuri, and a scoop of cracked corn(for winter only). Fresh water daily, pools when its above freezing. They have a large coop.
burbszz.png

Are you sure that all three of the Muscovy ducks are females? It does look like they are, but it's good to be 100% sure. It's also breeding season, so most poultry are getting territorial and acting more aggressive. Have you noticed any broody or territorial behavior with Dotty? She's probably just hormonal right now, it should calm down soon. Muscovy ducks are closer related to geese, so they can get crazier at times like now. Most of the time, keeping the aggressive duck locked up in solitary makes it worse for them, so I suggest letting everyone out but keeping an eye on them. However, you might have to separate them if it gets worse. If the situation gets worse, keeping them away from everyone is the best option. Sometimes the aggressive behavior can be from the duck trying to declare dominance, needing more of a social life with other ducks, or behavioral issues ( hormones ). You can put poultry wound spray or an antibiotic cream on her so the wounds don't get infected. I hope I have helped answer some of your questions! :)
I can word my sentences weird sometimes, so I apologize if it's a bit confusing. 😅

CLICK HERE FOR WOUND CARE

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom