Aggressive Female

Discussion in 'Quail' started by hsinglanjin, Jul 16, 2019.

1. hsinglanjin

hsinglanjin In the Brooder

Jul 3, 2018
    We have 3 female Coturnix Quails and have had them for about a year. They've been great, but all of a sudden a few weeks ago, 1 of the females started pecking and bullying the other 2. So much so, that we only get a total of 1 egg a day.

Why would the 1 female start being so aggressive and should be move her out to her own separate pen now?

2. rlchatham

rlchatham Chirping

May 9, 2017
    SW Oklahoma
    I would begin by keeping her separate for a few days them reintroduce her. If that doesn't work then might i suggest a dinner menu?

3. 702Quails

702Quails In the Brooder

May 31, 2019
    I had a similar problem with an aggressive female the past several weeks. I put my quail in stacking cages around two weeks old and since they were three weeks old, one female was pestering the other quail in the same cage. They're seven weeks old now and that one female was doing that non-stop for four weeks. My quail are jumbo browns, but the aggressive female had pure white feathers on the bottom of each wing.

I put the aggressive female in a separate cage for a couple days, because I thought she was starting to draw blood. The other quail in the cage were literally trying to escape as soon I opened the door. Weird thing is, she was very tame when handling her and she made no noise in her cage alone. I tried reintroducing her yesterday, but she immediately started attacking the other quail. I didn't want to keep her in a separate cage or have her stressing out the other quail all day long, so I had her for dinner last night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: