1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Aggressive Gangs of Raccoons in British Columbia

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by calista, Jul 21, 2011.

1. calista

calista Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2010
    Although this disturbing article covers gangs of raccoons in British Columbia targeting family cats, what every chicken owner who hasn't encountered these predatory vermin yet should take away from the story is this statement:

City wildlife experts say raccoons and cats occasionally spar over territory, but itÂ’s rare that raccoons will hunt down a large animal to eat.

Not so rare anymore. They're becoming increasingly "territorial" in this area.

Notice also that their local Animal Protection Society considers raccoons "pests."

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...f-raccoons-preying-on-family-pets-in-b-c?bn=1

Just a heads-up for BYC members in the area to fortify their coops and protect their pets -- and a plea to everyone NOT to relocate raccoons.

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    That's pretty disturbing. Poor kitties- I would think they would act quickly to eliminate them. I'm sure that neighborhood has small children in it as well and if the response would be the same if one of them were attacked "its the parents responsibility to keep their children locked indoors........"

3. goldtopper

goldtopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Near Bert Blyleven
    Lucky those gangs of raccoons are east to spot- just look for their little black leather jackets and tattoos.
    [​IMG]

4. calista

calista Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2010
    Quote:[​IMG]

I wonder if the more aggressive coons teach this behavior to their offspring -- does anyone know? I do worry that gang-member raccoons might attack a toddler if they're bold enough to corner a cat. [​IMG]

5. BlackBart

BlackBart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Raccoons and Cats will fight if the cat is a aggressor but my biggest problem is Cougars killing and eating my Cats.
    In a twist of fate Cougars also like to eat Raccoons [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by