Aggressive geese

Discussion in 'Geese' started by KMSIMS, Nov 17, 2013.

1. KMSIMS

KMSIMS New Egg

Nov 17, 2013
    Hi, I am new to this game. I have 2chickens and 2 male 8 month old geese. Today the geese attacked one of my chickens and had her on the ground and were pecking her . Fortunately she seems fine. Does anyone know if I should separate them now or hope my chickens learn to keep out of the way?
    Also, how warm do their coops need to be in winter? I am in Northern France.
    My Maran has been broody for a month in spite of the fact that I keep her out of the nest box for most of the day!
    Any advice gratefully received.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Do they all free range? my chickens have learned to stay away from the geese, but they have plenty of room to do it in, makes a difference, if they are in a pen then I would separate the geese from the chickens. Geese have down under their feathers and don't require extra warmth, just give them a place where they can get out of the elements and wind they should be fine. As far as a broody chicken I usually just let them get over it on their own, seems broodiness has to run it's course. I just take all eggs away. [​IMG]

3. servpolice

servpolice Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Ireland
    My geese dont bite my chickens but the rooster they do coz well uea the rooster fights em off and the reason they attacked your chickens is becoz young ganders tend to show off infront of eachother and it will stop eventually

4. TheBirdMan5

TheBirdMan5 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2013
    if you could separate them that would be best but I have never had a problem with my geese attacking my chickens also it depend how cold it gets in the winter there umm here where I live in new England it gets to be negative 8 degrees farenheight and I don't have to heat them at all in the winter also it depends what breed of geese the chickens should be fine though

5. servpolice

servpolice Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Ireland
    Btw this might be different for other people but my chinese and africans are wimpy against my chickens with chicks and my rooster and never fight back but my embdens toulouse etc arent scared of them so its the breed also

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I had my gander go after a mama hen because she dared to stand up to him when she had chicks, she is a bantam frizzle him an Embden gander and he did not like that she was trying to back him down. other than that most of the time the geese lower their heads and the chickens back off, the ducks are the ones that usually grab hold of a chicken and pull out feathers as the chicken is trying to get away. But they all pretty much co exist peacefully. It's funny though when the gander thinks he has done something impressive like try to bite me how he will brag about it to the goose. [​IMG]

7. RURU

RURU Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Troy, Missouri
    My Coop
    Sounds like teenage boys showing off for girls! [​IMG]

8. KMSIMS

KMSIMS New Egg

Nov 17, 2013
    Thank you everybody for sending your advice..much appreciated. They seem to have gone back to normal today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by