1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Aggressive hen- big mama boss

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rbancroft, Sep 9, 2009.

1. rbancroft

rbancroft Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2009
    Lulu is the big mama boss of my four 22 week BO's and I have two questions about her. 1.) She is larger than the others and has always been more aggressive. Recently she has bitten my hand a few times when I've tried to pick her up or come near her. At first I thought she was checking out my wedding ring, but she bites either hand. Any suggestions to get her not to bite?
    2) Ever since I moved the chickens to the coop when they were a few months old, Lulu has not perched on the roost on her own (it is higher than the nest boxes). The other three figured it out quickly, but after almost 2 weeks of putting Lulu up there at night, I just gave up and let her sleep on the perch in front of the nesting boxes. Well, now she has taken to perching on the very thin edge of the nesting box, head in the box, tail out. I'm wondering if I should try training her again since winter is coming and she'll need to be snuggling with the other girls. Any suggestions?

2. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    Probably not what you want to hear, but I'll be honest. If I have an aggressive one they go to freezer camp. I'll get after them the first few times they try to pull something with me, but if they don't shape up the act real quick they find themselves taking a celery/carrot bath in no time. [​IMG]

As far as the roost I let them do as they please. Generally if they get cold they go cuddle in closer. If they get warm the spread apart. I'd just let her be where she wants to be.

3. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    I would be patient with her, pullets can act b****** when they start laying and then mellow out. Is she laying yet? I have one hen like that, doesn't like to be touched, but otherwise she is fine. You could show her who is boss by "pecking" her on the back with your finger (when she bites), or "pushing" her with your foot, but I bet she will mellow out in time.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  4. rbancroft

rbancroft Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2009
    Thanks for your replies. Yes, Lulu is laying now - she started about 2 weeks ago. Today when I was changing the water she pecked at my wedding ring but missed and got my finger. Ouch. Then I was gently shooing the chickens away from the door and she bit my foot. I'll see how it goes the next few weeks. Hopefully she'll mellow out.

5. NotTheMomma

NotTheMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Not sure how to change the behavior, but I got a kick out of her name! My mini dachshund is Lulu as well! She gets attacked by the hens frequently.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by