1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Aggressive hen picking on Banty

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tanyon, Dec 3, 2014.

1. Tanyon

Tanyon New Egg

Dec 3, 2014
    Northern Nevada
    Hi All, I'm new here to BYC. I'm hoping I can get a resolution to my problem. Thanks in advance!! I have 6 girls, 2 are about 11 months old, the other 4 are 27 weeks. Of the older 2, one is what I think is an Americauna banty mix, she's tiny and rather pathetic. She has never been the picture of health ( limps most of the time, chalky comb, doesn't lay, tattered feathers) just truly a sad site, however she's always been joyful and active regardless. 3 days ago one of the younger girls started to lay ( buf orp) since then my RIR has become extremely agressive with her to the point of a bloodied comb and her hiding wherever she can. This has mainly been in the coop, but now the RIR is even going in the coop to pick on her. One of the other young girls is following the lead of the RIR only not as mean. I really don't have a place to separate her other than a dog kennel, but I'm not sure if removing her is a good idea. My other thought is to put the poor little thing out of her misery since she will probably never lay, and seems to be "the weakest link" Any advice is appreciated!!

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    You may end up giving her to someone who has chickens more her size. I don't know if they will ever except her because she's an easy target. A few times I have had to divide a flock into 2 in separate areas for that reason.

3. Tanyon

Tanyon New Egg

Dec 3, 2014
    Northern Nevada
    Thank you! I'll see what I can do... Poor girl!

4. 1CityChick

1CityChick Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2014
    Not sure if this will help, but we used a product called "Peck No More". We got it from Dels Feed in town. If you can't separate her, it's the next best thing. It worked for our hens. We only applied it once, and now the feathers are growing back where they were plucked out. Good luck! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by