aggressive hen toward me

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by smarsh, Oct 24, 2011.

1. smarsh

smarsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    lexington, KY
    I have mixed pullet (part game, maran, and others) about 6-1/2 months old, who has already been broody by the way, that is very aggressive toward me if I try to touch any of the other hens or her to a lesser degree. She does just attack, she draws blood, has flown right in my face and i stand 6'5. She acts very much like a rooster. anyone else experience this? I slapped her a little silly over the weekend and have put a halt to it for now.

2. Dutchess

Dutchess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds to me like she thinks she's the rooster. When you don't have a rooster one of the hens will take over and ACT like a rooster! It's happened to me, just not to the degree your experiencing. I think it sounds like you showed her whos the boss, hopefully she'll behave! [​IMG]

3. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    try acting "like a chicken" and peck her back...one of mine was very aggressive with me so I started poking (lightly) her with a small stick to emulate pecking and now she gives me my space!

4. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    I'd grab her and put her in the submissive position. My girls stomp their feet and squat with their shoulders flared a bit offering themselves to their rooster. Yes, I am considered the rooster by some of my chickens. Forcing her into the submissive position might get it through her head that she is not the rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by