Aggressive hen

baileybiddi

Chirping
Feb 2, 2023
I have a broody hen who is sitting on a clutch of eggs right now. Everyday I give the girls in the coop corn and this is when the broody gets up and eats/drinks/poops. Today when I she was up, her and another hen would not stop fighting. Not like just pecking eachother but really attacking eachother like roosters. I'm not sure who was the instigator but she was only fighting with the one other hen. If either one saw the other they would try to attack. Is this normal broody behavior? The broody hen is never aggressive to me. I could touch her or the eggs and she wouldn't hurt me, just the one other hen.

Broody hens are running high on hormones. Does she have her own separate space?
No, she’s still with the other chickens. Everyone has been fine so far until I noticed them fighting today. She’s been sitting on the eggs for 14 days now.

Not like just pecking eachother but really attacking eachother like roosters. I'm not sure who was the instigator
I've never seen behavior quite like that. I've seen two broody hens fight over who gets to raise chicks and I had a hen that had just gone broody attack another broody on the nest as her eggs started to chirp just before hatch. It doesn't quite fit but is that second hen acting broody? If she is I'd break her or at least lock her up.

Sometimes hens can sense a weakness in another hen and will take advantage of an opportunity to advance in the pecking order. That second hen may have misinterpreted being broody as a weakness. I don't know what is going on but if it continues I'd isolate that second hen for a few days to see if I could adjust her attitude.

Will she have troubles integrating back to the flock once she’s done being broody?
I don't know your plans for the broody and her chicks as far as will you isolate them or let her raise them with the flock. Obviously keep an eye on things for now, but after she weans her chicks is so far down the road and things can change so I would not worry about it now. Deal with it then if you have too.

Back
Top Bottom