Aggressive Hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tbrz70, Sep 27, 2011.

1. tbrz70

tbrz70 Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2011
    I am still not sure if she is in fact a hen because she/he is only 4 months old, however this one chicken runs over and immediately starts pecking at anyone who goes into the yard area. Whether you go to pick her up or just stand there, she pecks. When they all go in for the evening and you go in to close the door...this particular one comes running back out of the coop and starts pecking right away. I just find it odd because her and her sister were the youngest of 9 we got back in May(they were only 10 days old) and they were held the most. But now it seems they are the meanest ones. At this point I suppose she could be a rooster but until we know, is there a way to curb that behavior? My kids of 5 and 7 are already afraid to go in the yard with them because of these two(mainly the one). Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks
    Tara

2. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    If they've been held the most & are still mean, may be time to get the stew pot out...

3. tbrz70

tbrz70 Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2011
    That was my thought....i am wondering if it is because they are part RIR and the lady at the place "assured" me they wouldnt be that way! I insisted I did not want RIR anything because I heard they were mean! Of course now, I have to be the mean one!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by