1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Aggressive Hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kmenchicks, Feb 10, 2012.

1. kmenchicks

kmenchicks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2012
    Ohio
    One of my amberlinks attacked one of my black stars earlier this week. She's (the amberlink) always been a more dominant hen. I'm not sure why she attacked, always have food, water, treatballs, option of going outside. I have separated the amberlink, how long should I keep her out before trying to reintroduce her? Anything else I can do to try to calm her down. I'm still handeling her a few times a day.

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    You answered your own question. She attacked her because she is the dominant hen and was showing her dominance. I would keep her away, completely out of sight if possible for 3 days to a week. Then reintroduce her slowly, possibly by putting her in a cage near the others where she can see them but can't get to them. Hopefully that will lower her on the pecking order and give the others a chance. Hope that helps.

3. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Welcome to the forum.

If the Amberlink wasn't really harming the Black Star, but just trying to 'show her who's boss', then maybe it is best to let the chickens sort it out. It sounds like you have provided all the chickens need. Maybe one other thing is some obstacles so that the less dominant chicken can get away, or hide from one that is aggressive.

Chickens live within a pecking order, and sometimes they don't establish it diplomatically. We humans interfere because we don't understand. Once the pecking order IS established they will calm down. When you take your Amberlink out, when you reintroduce her the pecking order will need to be re-sorted. I think a short removal, a place for the Black Star to shelter or run away from the Amberlink, and diversions in their life, like places to scratch, dustbathe etc. will be helpful.

I had one hen that I thought was too aggressive, but once she was firmly established she settled down nicely. Now I am going to combine two sets of chichens, and will have to see how they reestablish their pecking order, but I am going to leave it up to them as much as possible, unless one is REALLY in danger. Chickens (and other herd/flock animals) sometimes push each other around, much to our dismay. Eventually they get their hierarchy established, and peace will return.

4. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I'm so sorry, I guess I wasn't paying attention earlier. [​IMG] from Ocala, FL.

5. kmenchicks

kmenchicks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2012
    Ohio
    We I moved the Amberlink back into the coop two days ago and everyone seems to be getting along fine now. Black star is starting to socialize a little more again. The amberlink had pulled feathers and made the black star bleed. The black star had stayed in the roost most of the time for about 4 days, but was outside the other chickens yesterday. Their feed has 17% protein,they get their egg shells, oyster shell, and they get treats of greens, eggs, and sprouted lentils. Keeping my fingers crossed that it was a one time thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by