Aggressive Hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sweetpea325, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Sweetpea325

Sweetpea325 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2012
    Port Republic, MD
    I have a 7-8 month old Serama Hen, I just got her about 2 months ago. She is really aggressive towards me, I spend alot of time with all my chickens, talk to them, give them treats and what not. But my Serama bites the crap out of me when I try to pick her up or pet her, actually will charge at my hand. When I am holding her, she is fine, doesn't try to get away and doesn't bite but if I am sitting with her in my lap and I try to pet her, she turns and bites pretty hard (almost drawing blood) on my hand. She starting off being aggressive to my full size hens when I introduced her into the flock but they put her in her place pretty quickly.

Is there someway I can get her to stop biting me? I'm ok if she just doesn't like to be handled that much but if she gets hurt, i don't want to have a more stressful situation by her attacking me when I am trying to help her. I've been handling her everyday since I got her but it just doesn't seem to be getting any better.

Thanks in advanced!

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I have no experience with seramas, but I have been bitten by pullets many times. If you use your index finger and tap (like a peck) on their head and keep doing it until they back down - I have found it works to curb the biters.

3. Sweetpea325

Sweetpea325 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2012
    Port Republic, MD
    I was actually trying to do something like that last night but she just kept coming at me, squaking, feathers puffed up and charging my hand. I was working with her for about 45 mins! and made no improvement. Is it possible this could be her trying to go broody? She lays an egg everyday but does sit on it for a couple hours. I always take the eggs away everyday but that doesn't stop her from sitting during the day after one of the others lay.

4. edithbunker

edithbunker Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2010
    farmington valley , CT
    My RIR has been acting the same way. She has been fine for the entire time I have had her, since March, until about November, when she started chasing my leg and biting it, then my hand when i reach for them or feed them, puffs up, kicks me and actually draws blood. It make me sad, I may have to hand her over to a butcher in the spring if she keeps it up,she was my best girl too. :[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by