Aggressive hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hdolloff, Feb 5, 2013.

1. hdolloff

hdolloff Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2012
    Sebago Maine
    I have 2 silkie hens, one is Creamcicle, the other is Snow White. Creamcicle had an egg hatch in the beginning of January, she has been very aggressive toward the other hen since then. Snow White seems to be afraid of Creamcicle. She hides under the ramp, and looks very thin. we made a shelf for her with food and water, but Creamcicle and the chick are venturing around the coop more and Snow White just sits shaking. Creamcicle will not let Snow White outside, she attacks her and my husband had to intervene.

I don't know what to do, I have thought about removing Creamcicle and the chick, or maybe just Creamcicle, I don't want to remove Snow White she isn't the one doing wrong.

What should I do???

2. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

wow. her best and only buddy is now a new mom. hmmmmmm. I would be tempted to get her a new buddy. but that also can have challenges. I think she deserves some extra special treatment though. I suggest at least separating the new mom and her chick but let the other hen be able to be close to them and see them. I would let the lone silky have most of the freedom and the mom and chick be the ones restrained...

edited to add: the new mom is doing her job. :) But I think you need to cater to snow white for now.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  3. hdolloff

Dec 22, 2012
    Sebago Maine
    So u think its because of the chick? That was my thought. We do have a rooster in there too. Creamcicle is not aggressive toward him. I will separate the her and the chick from Hunter and Snow White and see how that goes. Thank you!

4. hdolloff

Dec 22, 2012
    Sebago Maine
    [​IMG]

This is what we came up with! You can see Snow White and Hunter snuggling together and Creamcicle up top in the box with her chick and a new egg she laid today! We may have a new chick in a few weeks!!

5. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

nice set up! I am sure everyone is more at ease. [​IMG]

edited to add: I'm not sure if you want another chick right now? Not real experienced in this type of situation, but if mamma starts trying to hatch that egg (not that she will, I'm surprised that there's an egg to begin with. Must be the other hen's?) but if she did hatch another chick there will be competition between the day old chick and the older chick. I think.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  6. hdolloff

Dec 22, 2012
    Sebago Maine
    I am not really sure who laid the egg! Snow White had an egg hatch at the same time that the chick hatched but it didn't make it. Neither have laid any eggs since.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by