Aggressive Hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by alisacarol, Aug 23, 2010.

1. alisacarol

alisacarol New Egg

Aug 23, 2010
    I have 4 buff and 4 black and 14 Red Star. They grew up together last year and have been fine laying eggs this year until mid summer. One hen started acting like a rooster and directed who could lay eggs where and at what time. Then about 6pm each evening she would attacke the buff that broody. I moved the broody hen to a separate pen...she now had 3 chicks. However in the evening the rooster would chase certain hens to mate them and then this same hen would also try to mate them. I have culled her. Then we had another hen who was fighting other hens when they went to roost....she also has been culled. I had read that somtimes hens will produce to much male hormone and start acting like roosters. Also the only hens that are broody are the black and buff hens...who were raised by a mother hen. The Red Star hens were bought at tractor supply. I am thinking of culling the rooster as we will not be raising any more chicks this year....the feathers are gone from the backs of the black and buff hens....does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks Alisa from VA

2. rdport

rdport Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2009
    Texas
    Sounds like you are doing the best thing...I would get rid of the roo.. I hate to see the poor hens with bare back. The others that were causing problems were the sex-links? So it sounds like they had hormonal problems. We don't keep a rooster and we have never had a hen acting like a roo. So, I think it is just something wrong with the hen's hormones.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by