Aggressive Male Duck to New Female Ducklings

slebeau

Hatching
Jun 23, 2021
Hello,
We have a drake who is a year old and 2 females who are also a year old just a few months younger. We introduced our male to the 2 females last year without a hitch. This year we decided to get 2 more female ducklings. They are now 2 months old and have almost all of their feathers. We want to incorporate them into the flock but are having issues with the drake. Our ducks are free range ducks with a coop that has a cage around it that they go into at night. To help acclimate the ducklings to the flock we have been leaving them in the cage during the day when our flock is out free ranging. They have been curious of each other but when we have tried to let them see each other outside without the separation of the cage, the drake is super aggressive (I’m assuming he’s trying to dominate and mate with them). This is terrible to see and we intervene right away, but are now unsure when we can fully integrate them into the flock. Any suggestions??? Thanks in advance!

Juveniles should not be with adult drakes until they are sexually mature otherwise the drakes will mate them and could severely injure or worse kill them.
Thank you for the advice! All the websites say 7-8 weeks so we were unsure of when to do it. I appreciate your advice!

You can integrate 7-8 week old ducklings into an all-female flock, or a mixed flock if it's large enough that the drake isn't interested. My flock is big enough that my drakes pay no mind to youngsters, so mine are all together during the day from nearly the beginning.

But 16 weeks is about when they're old enough to be mated, so if the drake is interested, you have to wait until then.

Back
Top Bottom