Aggressive male duck

Boyington2917

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2018
I have a 2yr old rouen male duck has just started being aggressive to anyone I don't know why he was sweet and loving until now he is only one now we just recently moved and now have a swimming pool first he would get in the pool with the kids and swim with them but he will attack the kids no matter what and the adults when not they aren't looking if you turn around look at him he will stop but as soon as you turn your back he will bite your feet, legs anything he can.He leaves bruises and blood under the skin. Pinning him down gently for a few min seems to be helping as far as attacking the adults go. But he will walk in the house and bite my 5yr sister sleeping on the couch. I've read that he could be trying to be dominate but I don't know to stop him from attacking the kids and my sister is terrified of him so she won't get near him to show him that he isn't the dominate one what could I try?

He needs a female duck or two to keep him occupied and he needs to stop coming into the house since he terrorizes people. I imagine once he has female ducks he will be very protective of them and it won't make him nicer to humans. But he was meant to be a duck not a pet.

Some chickens or ducks or even geese are made into house pets BUT, not means ones. The ones that like people better than their own kind, generally bond with the humans and fit in nicely.

Since he is a trouble maker maybe you will decide to re home him. Next time get a female or two so they aren't alone. They will lay eggs without a male but, they won't be fertile so can't hatch out ducklings.

:welcome

Drumstick Diva makes a good point...does your boy have any females? I'm sure the members over on the Duck forum will be helpful to you.

Best of luck!

G'Day from down under Boyington.... :frowWelcome!

Sorry, I know nothing about ducks but I see you have gotten some good advice and a link to the Duck Forum so I will just add that I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

BYC has Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining; so definitely worth checking out. There are some down the bottom of the page which are duck specific.

Including your general location on your profile will assist others. Location, climate, season etc can be important factors when members are responding to any questions you may have and vice versa.

You might want to also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

I have a 2yr old rouen male duck has just started being aggressive to anyone I don't know why he was sweet and loving until now he is only one now we just recently moved and now have a swimming pool first he would get in the pool with the kids and swim with them but he will attack the kids no matter what and the adults when not they aren't looking if you turn around look at him he will stop but as soon as you turn your back he will bite your feet, legs anything he can.He leaves bruises and blood under the skin. Pinning him down gently for a few min seems to be helping as far as attacking the adults go. But he will walk in the house and bite my 5yr sister sleeping on the couch. I've read that he could be trying to be dominate but I don't know to stop him from attacking the kids and my sister is terrified of him so she won't get near him to show him that he isn't the dominate one what could I try?
Welcome to BYC 1.gif

It is great having you here!

I moved the thread to the duck forum for you. You should get more Duck people there to help.

Please come back to the new member forum and post an official introduction. I would love to learn more about you!

Back
Top Bottom