Aggressive male Muscovy

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mirandaleecon, Dec 4, 2014.

1. mirandaleecon

mirandaleecon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2014
    Panama City, FL
    Hello! So I have a 4 month old Muscovy drake who I have had since he was hatched. He is bonded with me and will follow me around the yard. I also have a Peking and Khaki who I believe are both female.
    My issue is, my Muscovy is getting more and more aggressive. When I got home today, he tried mounting my leg. I think he thinks he is people and that I am is girlfriend. He totally ignores the other two ducks. He is very nippy and will leave bruises.
    Any suggestions on what I can do to curb the aggression? Rehoming him is not an option.

2. Frank Phinster

Frank Phinster Chillin' With My Peeps

You need to show him that you are stronger and that you cannot be knuckled under. The drake is misimprinted, and I suppose that you raised him alone without other ducks so chances that he will ever bond with other ducks are low. This means that you will stay his prime target for his sexual urges.
    I know this sounds weird, but that's how it is and this forum is full of "my duck tries to violate me"-threads and I wish that people would inform themselves first before they get ducklings.

I would advise that you fend off his approaches, maybe catch him and hold him down a litte while. This way you would subdue him the way a more dominant muscovy would a conspecific and he may learn not to mess with you.

On a second note, khakis are too small to be an appropriate partner for a muscovy drake since they grow really large and tend to be quite aggressive during mating.

3. mirandaleecon

Aug 29, 2014
    Panama City, FL
    Thank you for your response. Although it's not fair that you assume that I am misinformed. This duck was abandoned by his wild mother and someone dropped him off at the local feed store. I adopted him and immediately started looking for other ducks for him to bond to. For some reason there were no other ducklings to be found at the time and it was a week before I could get the peking and khaki. And as you know, it was already too late by then. I did the best I could...

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Your on the right thought trail he thinks your a female in need of being in her place. That has to be corrected. Have you seen drakes fight? if not usually the 'winner' gains this by pushing the loser to the ground by being on top a similar action can be done by you, this will not correct overnight but eventually he will learn YOU are dominant and the flock leader.

I own .. er many, sorry i'd have to count (too early for maths) scovie drakes and nobody challenges me.. i am top bird here, never any need to be unkind to these boys but they have to know your never a flock member their massive weight, claws and so forth poses a real threat to us. I seriously have no issue with mine and own way to many of them lol

This will be a matter of persistence on your behalf and hopefully his being young is a positive, he will get his place and harmony will come. GL!

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I can also say once he realizes you are not available he will turn to the girls I have an imprinted Muscovy drake and went through the same thing your going through, I came here and got good advise and also others telling me to put him down, which I never could have done, but I did treat him just like another drake would do as Going Quackers rec and Frank and you have to be consistent. it won't happen over night but it will happen. My drake is 3.5 years old now and even though he still likes for me to pet him he is very bonded to his females. Oh and I did not pet him, hug him or hold him while teaching him I am not a duck. I also used the broom to keep him off of me by just putting it between us to stop him in his tracks or sometimes I'd sweep him away if he just wouldn't take no for an answer. Never hitting him.
    Please let us know how things are going.

6. mirandaleecon

Aug 29, 2014
    Panama City, FL
    Thank you all for the advice! I will definitely try showing him I'm the dominant one. I was actually working on it this morning. He is so strong! I also have one more question; sometimes when I first let him out of his pen, he seems so excited and at first he would do these cute fake bites all over my hands and feet but now he actually starts pinching. Is this part of the dominant thing or is he just actually excited?

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I think both, and you don't want to give him an opportunity to nibble bite or anything, in other words don't put your hands in feet in the position. if you have to push him away with the broom do it. It's not to hurt him but it's to let him know you are off limits. He'll get the message eventually but you have to be consistent.Read this it can be used for drakes too worked wonders on my gander and drake.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/561849/geese-training

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  8. MrsObeed

MrsObeed Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2014
    I have a drake who I've had since he hatched 7 months ago he actually lives inside with us. He did the same thing when we would get home or let him out of his bed. Starts out gently then gets excited and starts pitching its his way of saying hello. My advice is when he gets to rough give him a tap on the beak and say gentle, if he keeps being rough walk away. This worked for us now when he gets to rough we say gentle and he stops being rough. Think about it like your training a dog same thing really there very smart! Never had a problem with him trying to hump me he seems happy to hang out with his little girlfriend I got him in the pen I built for him outside and he comes in when were home and of a night or if you leave the door open. I would suggest the same thing you'd do with a dog that was humping you. They can be trained and its not that hard I've even trained rubber not to poop on the carpet and to stay.

9. Onlyducks

Onlyducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2014
    The idea of using a broom seems good. I often think that part of why ducks become aggressive is owners are startled by the behaviour and don't know what to do. Animals very quickly pick up when you show surprise or fear. You're the duck's caretaker and trainer. He doesn't necessarily like all your choices, but for you to get along, there have to be rules. You can also put a piece of cardboard or other barrier between you and the duck when he becomes aggressive. Make it clear you won't accept the behaviour.

This is easier said than done sometimes, I know. It's also easier for some people. My husband is not around our ducks as much and they tend to be less well behaved when he wants them to herd somewhere. I never back down from a duck—he will not win. I often just stand and wait, refusing to move until the ducks do what I want. The more you're around the duck and the more firm you are about unacceptable behaviour, the better.

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Good ideas.. I have a drake who isn't aggressive to me but is very aggressive to one of my other drakes, so I have been going towards him like I am going to pick him up every time he starts on the one drake. even following him up the hill the whole time I have my arms open like I want to pick him up. He wants to be dominant over one of the drakes I will be dominant over him till he gets the message. This is how we have to be over an aggressive drake towards us, they have to learn we will not tolerate their aggressiveness. .My gander hates the broom, all I have to do is pick it up and he gets the message I have had to sweep him so many times lol

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by