Aggressive male pekin duck towards female pekin

AlexisLo

Chirping
7 Years
May 31, 2012
Cheltenham, PA
I am coming up on a year since my two pekin ducklings (male and female) arrived. Everything has been, to my duck knowledge, great. Overall, very happy and healthy ducks.

However, this summer has started off a little rocky with them enjoying the pool where they are most intimate with each other…to cut to the chase my male duck has been really beating up on my female duck. He does bite and run after us humans and we have taken action by “mounting” him to show him who is in charge which seems to help but my poor female duck is becoming raw on her neck from him biting/pinning her and in-between her wings on her back she has a patch with no feathers left.

I am afraid that it will all get worse from here if something isn’t done to keep him from hurting her badly because even out of the pool he is biting her and she tries to get away and causes more damage. If someone could shed some light on the issue that would be great because it is pretty upsetting to see this poor female take a beating and if this is all normal then I will have to deal with it but if there is something I could do to help to prevent something terrible then I will do anything.

Thank you for any input, it is really appreciated!

It is normal behavior, meaning basically that it happens often. I would say to get another female. That would balance his aggression/mating and cause less wear. Maybe even two new females to make three//one ratio.

It is normal behavior, meaning basically that it happens often. I would say to get another female. That would balance his aggression/mating and cause less wear. Maybe even two new females to make three//one ratio.
3to1 would be much better. also you can give her some time to her self during the late evening right before bed. I have done this with mine, put the drakes to bed first and give the girls some free time to bask in the pool with out having to worry a drake is going to jump them. they love it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom