Aggressive male Pekin- *need advice!*

hlwoods

In the Brooder
Jan 16, 2018
Greenville, SC
I NEED ADVICE!
My flock consists of 6 ducks: 1 male pekin, 2 female pekins, 2 female Welsh Harlequins, and 1 female Buff Orpington.
They were all raised together since they were 3 days old and then around 6 months of age, my male Pekin, Donald, decided he doesn't like the two Welsh Harlequin females. He charges at them and even attacks (plucking feathers, and mounting them forcibly). The Welsh Harlequins are 4-5lbs and he is about 10lbs, so he is much larger and I don't want him to hurt the girls. Occasionally, he will even charge/peck at the Buff (Penny) and the submissive female Pekin (Buttercup), but he loves his "girlfriend" dominant Pekin, Jemima. I'm not sure if he attacks the Welsh Harlequins because they are smaller and he knows they will submit easily or if he just simply doesn't like them based on their coloring. I've tried separating him, but it's a hassle and I would prefer them all to be together. All of the girls get along just fine.
Recently, I tried to give Donald to a lady with other ducks, but she had 3 males and they did not get along, so I took him back. He is a sweet boy other than being aggressive to the Welsh Harlequins.

Does anyone have any advice or tips to get him to get along with all the girls? I don't know what else to do other than separate him from here on out or give him away.

How much room do they all have??
I have combined/attached a 10x10 ft pen with a 4.5x8 ft pen. I have the option to put a gate between the two pens to keep the ducks separate if needed. So, i've been keeping the 3 pekins in the 10x10 with the 3 small girls in the smaller pen, although it gives them more room when the gate is not there. I also let them free range in our yard while i'm at home.

How is Donald when free ranging?

Sounds like your only option is separating him from the girls or rehoming. We have seen this before where a solid white duck like Pekin doesn't like other color ducks, you def don't want him being abusive to your females. Although I will say Duck sex isn't for the faint of heart it can be rough with some feathers plucked out of the females but you don't want them being brutal.

How is Donald when free ranging?

Sounds like your only option is separating him from the girls or rehoming. We have seen this before where a solid white duck like Pekin doesn't like other color ducks, you def don't want him being abusive to your females. Although I will say Duck sex isn't for the faint of heart it can be rough with some feathers plucked out of the females but you don't want them being brutal.

I really can't let Donald free range with the females at all. He usually stays "in jail" inside the big 10x10 pen while all the girls get to roam around. If I turn my back for one second, he will attack the Welsh girls. He's more aggressive (mating) with the Welsh than he is with the Pekin girls, so I try not to let him near them...they are scared of him and run away when they see him coming.

Hi there!!! Yes I currently have the same problem with my drake. He has been this way ever since he came to age. He goes to drake jail often...he went twice yesterday!! Separation has been the only thing that has worked for me. Monday thru Friday I alternate separation, one gets to free range while the other gets locked up. Mind you I only have one hen and one drake outside right now. And three ducklings in the house awaiting to go outside once the weather breaks. Then my problems will really get concerning.... one of the three ducklings is a male Pekin and one of the females is a Silver Appleyard -which is a darker color like your WH. The other female is a Pekin but is showing signs that she is alpha of the group.

I have a 10x10 ft pen that has been divided in half. They sleep in the pen but are separated because I can't allow him to be alone with her with no where to run to.
A41C1974-38EE-40D8-8B29-36263E4C34F6.jpeg
3F5369D8-3D03-4951-A97A-19B19A5E4A7A.jpeg
59B11EAB-9318-4AA1-8167-A76DD67F2636.jpeg

Hi there!!! Yes I currently have the same problem with my drake. He has been this way ever since he came to age. He goes to drake jail often...he went twice yesterday!! Separation has been the only thing that has worked for me. Monday thru Friday I alternate separation, one gets to free range while the other gets locked up. Mind you I only have one hen and one drake outside right now. And three ducklings in the house awaiting to go outside once the weather breaks. Then my problems will really get concerning.... one of the three ducklings is a male Pekin and one of the females is a Silver Appleyard -which is a darker color like your WH. The other female is a Pekin but is showing signs that she is alpha of the group.

I have a 10x10 ft pen that has been divided in half. They sleep in the pen but are separated because I can't allow him to be alone with her with no where to run to.View attachment 1318639View attachment 1318640View attachment 1318641

Thank You for the pictures...it helps to see your duck pen arrangement. I really hate that he won't get along with everybody. I assume getting another male won't help either. For now, drake jail it is.

Thank You for the pictures...it helps to see your duck pen arrangement. I really hate that he won't get along with everybody. I assume getting another male won't help either. For now, drake jail it is.
No....don’t get another drake! You think life is rough now...oh boy! I will end up rehoming one of my Drake’s I am sure of it! Jail time is the way to go:D

Back
Top Bottom