Aggressive male Pekin

stolen2012

Hatching
Jun 26, 2016
Hi guys! I am new here, but I have read a few of the aggressive male threads and need some help!
*backstory*
Easter 2015, I raised 6 ducks. 4 mallards who all turned out to be males and 2 pekins who were 1 male and 1 female. A few months after putting them outside, the male became very aggressive and targeted one mallard singularly. We rehomed him and put ducks got along very well. Our female produced one egg a day for us.
fast forward to Easter 2016, we wanted to expand our flock and maybe get another layer. We adopted 2 baby pekins who turned out again to be one male and one female.
*current issues*
Once the new Pekin male matured, our old Pekin female stopped laying. Our new Pekin female has never laid an egg. That is a problem, but the more pressing matter is that our new Pekin male is being aggressive! He chases down a single Mallard and sits on it while pecking at its neck like he's trying to kill him.
It's worst at night, and I'm not sure what to do now. Can anything fix this behavior? Is it normal?
My ducks are not very friendly. We don't handle them at all since putting them outside. They run from us in the yard and only approach us (cautiously) when we are feeding them.
Any advice or help would be much appreciated!

You cant have two females and then expect the guys to get alongGet rid of all the males if you can't provide enough girls...

But you do not have to get an exact amount,so 16 could work,since some drakes may end up with more females then one other.

Okay, I don't think my yard and kiddie pool will sustain that many birds. I'll try to rehome my male Pekin. The 3 mallard males and one female Pekin were a very happy family.

BUT,they will not stay happy.3 males one female.....Keep both females and try to just kep one male,that would be best.

Back
Top Bottom