Aggressive Male Peking Duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kristacarter, Dec 11, 2014.

1. kristacarter

kristacarter New Egg

Dec 11, 2014
    Hello all! I'm new here and need help ASAP!

I have one male Peking duck I raised from a 3 day old duckling as a rescue. He's approximately 7 months old and has become very very aggressive towards the humans on the farm! We can't get out of our car, come off the porch or walk around the yard without him attacking us!

We figure he has made himself the man of the house with the 12 hens we have. I've read forums about "mounting" him, but that hasn't worked so far.

If we carry around the chicken paddle (little oar thing that rattles) he stays away.

I need advise on how to handle this. He can't stay on our happy farm if he's going to continue to act this way. We have small children and I think its just a matter of time before he attacks them too.

I should note he's the only male animal besides a cat. He doesn't attack the dog or cats or even the hens.

I hate to get rid of him if there is a chance he will grow out of this ASAP. But if he doesn't, I'll have to.

Please HELP!!!

2. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    Have you tried a time out? I don't have experience with this so I'm just going off of what I have seen in other threads. What about picking him up and carrying him around when he starts to act up. I believe when you pin him down it needs to be for a good min till he accepts you and stops struggling. I'm sorry you are going through this. Do you have other ducks?

3. Onlyducks

Onlyducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2014
    Others have suggested using a broom to shoo him away on other threads. You have success with the chicken rattle, but only when you're actually carrying it, so it's not really "taking". He still thinks he can attack if you don't have the rattle. The broom may or may not help.

Without any other ducks, you may have problems irregardless of what you do. He can hurt your hens if he goes after them and attempts to breed. If it were me, I'd get female ducks to go with the male, get rid of the male (rehome?), or pen up the duck so he can't attack chickens and people.

4. kristacarter

kristacarter New Egg

Dec 11, 2014
    He's the only duck. We have tried the "mounting" for up to 5 minutes. He still just runs over after and tries to eat our feet off...lol.

Maybe re-homing is the way to go. I don't think other females added to the mix would help since I think that's why he's being aggressive in the first place. Penning him up may work but I don't have a separate area.

5. fethr37

fethr37 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2014
    western washington
    I think he's trying to tell you something? Whether it be he wants some female company or he just plain isn't happy with his surroundings.

6. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    Ducks do not do well alone and that could be the root of your problem. Has he been mounting the chickens? If so he can really hurt or possibly kill them. If getting more female only ducks ASAP is not an option then rehiming them may be the route to go.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by