Aggressive Male Silkie!!! Help Help Help!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mandelaykay, Jul 28, 2011.

1. mandelaykay

mandelaykay Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Southern maine
    I am new to silkies. I have a flock of 5 month old silkies. A splash pair and a white pair. The white male has been crowing for well over a month. He was so sweet and was always the first one to come running when I called. The Splash male just started crowing last week and he is the less dominant of the two. This past week the white male has become pretty aggressive. When I go to feed him he will chase me and bite my ankles. When I take them out in the morning he will bite me and I was trimming the splash female's nails today and he charged me and gave me a good hard bite. I have been working with him since he started this behavior, I pick him up more, I will not turn my back on him and when he tries to charge I crowd him until he gives first. Out of all of my birds, whom of which I would like to show he is the least full and I have considered swapping him or selling him for a nicer bird both in appearance and attitude. Is this normal behaviour? What would you do? I choose this breed because of their temperment. I can not have him attacking my 18 month old. My birds get run of the yard during the day then I put them in their coop at night.

2. equinelyn

equinelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Southern York County
    I've heard a lot of people having mean white silkie roos!!! I hope my white youngster isn't a roo [​IMG]

3. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    Whereabouts are you? I have two sweet Sizzle cockerels. [​IMG]

4. mandelaykay

Mar 23, 2011
    Southern maine
    It is really too bad... I was just telling my husband last week (before this all started happening) about how the whites were so much friendlier then the splash and will run up to me when I call them. He has a lot of feathers coming in and I m hopeful that he fills out. I want to work with because I figure who ever is next in line after him may start the same way. But it makes me sad to think that only a week ago I wouldnt dream of getting rid of my sweet Ellory even if he was not show quality and now I am indifferent. Lol too many bites I guess. I could tell early on that I had two boys. The would play different then the girls and would always (face off) [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  5. mandelaykay

Mar 23, 2011
    Southern maine
    I live in Maine... what is a sizzle hehe:)

6. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Squirt him with a spray bottle. Not the spray one but the one that says stream, he will leave you alone.

7. mandelaykay

Mar 23, 2011
    Southern maine
    Bump:D

8. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    You can always put him in the crock pot, if you don't want to squirt him with a water bottle, or hold him everyday for a little while.

9. flmom84

flmom84 New Egg

Aug 23, 2013
    I have almost the exact same issue. We have 11 hens and 1 male gray silkie. When he was younger he was very sweet, but as he has gotten older he has become terrible. Our chickens free range during the day and when given the opportunity he will chase you and try to attack the back of your legs. My children have started calling him Demon Chicken because of his personality. Since he is the only male chicken we have ever owned I thought maybe all roosters acted in this protective manner. Now I am beginning to think it may be a silkie thing. He gives you a certain look and you just know he is going to go after you. He even stalks me if he sees me pull up in the car. The strange thing is at night he seems to loose his aggression. I can walk in the coop and he won't move. He is my only chicken who sleeps on the floor. All my girls are up roosting and he is always in his same little corner. I will have to try the water bottle method. Right now if I need to get in the coop and he is near there during the day, I have to carry a broom for protection. I guess I am just happy he isn't bigger, otherwise he might actually hurt someone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by