Aggressive/overly dominant Pekin.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sash814, Aug 18, 2014.

1. sash814

sash814 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2014
    NW Pennsylvania
    I have 3 pekins and 5 Muscovy ducks.. 4 still kind of young and one that's about a year old. My pekins are about 5 months old. One of my pekins drakes is literally terrorizing everyone else at night in the coop. He is very agressive.. I think he is raping (or trying to) all if my muscovy ducks. Not sure about the other pekins because they still hang around him. He pecks, bites, swats with his head.. I've been putting him alone at night in a smaller coop because I feel terrible for the other ducks. Tonight I really got angry because now my adult female Muscovy won't even come in. That is a problem. I don't want something to get her. But she's obviously terrified of him.

Any suggestions??

Desperate for any help!!!!

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. Sorry about the trouble you're having with your Pekin drake. I'm a chicken person and don't know much about ducks (although I've had a few), but I have to admit that ducklings are the ultimate in cute. You should post this on our duck section at https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks where our duck experts reside. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck bringing your drake under control.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I don't know anything about ducks either BUT, I wouldn't put up with a duck with any animal aggressive like that.

I don't care what kind of baggage he may have - like duck parents that just didn't understand him. I suggest having him for dinner duck ala orange.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I don't know anything about ducks. Definitely post this question in our Ducks section for more help. MIchael has left you with the link.

Good luck with your birds and welcome to our flock!

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X4 on try posting in the Duck forum, and aggressive drakes are much like aggressive roosters, they make good soup.

6. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

X5 on posting in the duck area. Sorry about the ones being aggressive.

7. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG] Pekin drakes are notorious for "raping" other ducks. What is your duck to drake ratio?

And I agree with the above...eat him and try again.

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by