Aggressive Pekin Drake?

UrbanDucks

Hatching
6 Years
Nov 17, 2013
California
I'm not sure how to deal with my drake's behavior. This is my first time with birds so some very detailed advice would be greatly appreciated.
smile.png

About a week ago my drake started tugging at my pants, pecking at my knees, and nibbling at my toes relentlessly.
Both ducks usually do this when I'm hand feeding them treats or when they're hungry because I set the food on my lap and it tends to fall while they're eating and around my feet.
But now when I don't have food he still does it, but he's not looking for treats. He just tugs and pecks without stopping and gets as close as possible.
Is it obsessive? He isn't all that interested in treats after the first few bites, and he doesn't seem at all interested in my hands.
A month ago I had to coax him with food and he had to be VERY hungry to get this close, ever.
Even when I walk away he does it, practically leaning against my leg and getting under my feet fearlessly.
He doesn't even care anymore if I touch him while he does it, this is the most I've held him since he was a duckling! (and even then he was very reluctant) I've been holding him away from me and he hasn't even quacked while I did it! (past the usual babble)
My pekin hen has been getting closer too, but she doesn't touch me and usually just grazes at the sides while my drake seems determined to eat my pants. (actually could that be it? Had anyone had a drake that hated a pair of pants?)
idunno.gif

Is this an egg thing? They don't seem to care about where they have eggs and they don't lay them anywhere near the places he's started pecking me at. So far he only does it when I approach them, could he be possessive over the hen?
He's willing to ditch her to follow me across the yard, though (unless this is how they deal with an outsider, anyone?) but why start so suddenly?
I've been letting them outside of their pen to explore the yard much more frequently lately because it's raining in California and they love mud.
wee.gif

Is the sudden freedom turning him feral or something? I've had him since he was a month old and he was never this aggressive when he was a duckling- and I kept them in the yard during the day (under my supervision) and brought them inside my house at night until they were four months old. (and got bigger then the neighborhood cats)
He hasn't nipped hard enough to hurt yet, but the pants-attacking thing could be him trying to get a better grip.
What should I do? What's causing him to peck me?
Sorry for the long story but I'm worried and don't want to leave anything out.
Thank you!

I think what you describe is probly normal duck behavior. Pekins are very social, I'm guessing that your duck sees you as a member of his flock. If you don't want to be bitten then don't get close enough for him to bite you. My ducks come when I call them, and maybe once or twice a year I might demonstrate how to do a hand feeding, but otherwise I really do not pick up my ducks at all, except for the occasional health inspection. HTH-- Sorry I do not know what else to tell you.

I was wondering an answer to this as well...I have a male Pekin that does the same thing, even going as far as to try and crawl up in my lap to peck at me. And it started out of nowhere. I thought it was because of the food at first as well...then maybe he was just protecting the egg or two I came across to collect. In order to clean up the pen, or move around unobstructed, I've resorted to picking him up and putting him in their swimming pond, which stops him and he just stares at me while paddling around. It's kinda funny to watch, yet a little unnerving since I haven't quite figured out what the root of the behaviour is. He started doing it with just me, then to our friends (who watched over them for a week or so when we were out of town) and now with the hubby! So I can't say the drake has a discriminating taste...lol!

Any ideas anyone?

I was wondering an answer to this as well...I have a male Pekin that does the same thing, even going as far as to try and crawl up in my lap to peck at me. And it started out of nowhere. I thought it was because of the food at first as well...then maybe he was just protecting the egg or two I came across to collect. In order to clean up the pen, or move around unobstructed, I've resorted to picking him up and putting him in their swimming pond, which stops him and he just stares at me while paddling around. It's kinda funny to watch, yet a little unnerving since I haven't quite figured out what the root of the behaviour is. He started doing it with just me, then to our friends (who watched over them for a week or so when we were out of town) and now with the hubby! So I can't say the drake has a discriminating taste...lol!

Any ideas anyone?
Hormones they just get the best of them and like most drakes don't care who they mate with,
roll.png
Best way to stop behavior is with tough love, when he comes at you with that look stop him in his tracks either by flattening him out on the ground on his belly and holding him down till he quits struggling, or using a broom or something similar to keep him at a distance you are telling him you nor anyone else wants his sexual advances, It's normal behavior in some drakes more than others so nipping it in the bud quick is the best way to teach him you are not part of his harem. [All that I just described is not to the point of hurting him, just letting him know you are not going to put up with his nonsense. ] I can vouch it works I have a really nice 2.5 y old drake that learned his place in the pecking order and it's such a nice relationship. Oh and while training him don't pet him at all it just eggs on the sexual behavior.

Hormones they just get the best of them and like most drakes don't care who they mate with,
roll.png
Best way to stop behavior is with tough love, when he comes at you with that look stop him in his tracks either by flattening him out on the ground on his belly and holding him down till he quits struggling, or using a broom or something similar to keep him at a distance you are telling him you nor anyone else wants his sexual advances, It's normal behavior in some drakes more than others so nipping it in the bud quick is the best way to teach him you are not part of his harem. [All that I just described is not to the point of hurting him, just letting him know you are not going to put up with his nonsense. ] I can vouch it works I have a really nice 2.5 y old drake that learned his place in the pecking order and it's such a nice relationship. Oh and while training him don't pet him at all it just eggs on the sexual behavior.

Oh! I didn't even think about the 'initiation into his harem' factor LOL. I figured we were MUCH too big to even be an issue in that regard lol. I had my hubby flatten him out on the ground twice and he stopped, but now I'm the target haha. Guess it'll be my turn for some tough love tomorrow morning xD. Thanks for that valuable insight! It helped a lot and is much appreciated! :)

Oh! I didn't even think about the 'initiation into his harem' factor LOL. I figured we were MUCH too big to even be an issue in that regard lol. I had my hubby flatten him out on the ground twice and he stopped, but now I'm the target haha. Guess it'll be my turn for some tough love tomorrow morning xD. Thanks for that valuable insight! It helped a lot and is much appreciated! :)
Keep us updated on progress.
thumbsup.gif

Keep us updated on progress.
thumbsup.gif
Well, so I've been flattening him on the ground each time he tries to peck at me, and it seems to work for all of 2 minutes before he tries it again. After 3-4 times of flattening him out, he'll temporarily stop, though he does twist his neck around to try and bite at me while my hand is on his back (lol). Perhaps over the course of a couple more days the bahaviour will change...at least hopefully for me. He did it to my husband once or twice, but after flattening him out, he stopped almost immediately (and I don't think has done it since). But I'm more of a...work in progress I guess LOL.

Well, so I've been flattening him on the ground each time he tries to peck at me, and it seems to work for all of 2 minutes before he tries it again. After 3-4 times of flattening him out, he'll temporarily stop, though he does twist his neck around to try and bite at me while my hand is on his back (lol). Perhaps over the course of a couple more days the bahaviour will change...at least hopefully for me. He did it to my husband once or twice, but after flattening him out, he stopped almost immediately (and I don't think has done it since). But I'm more of a...work in progress I guess LOL.
You are the center of his universe and he would really like you to be his mate. Keep it up and use the broom if you have too. Don't even let him get close. and when flattening him put one hand at the base of his neck so he can't turn around and try to bite. Or hold onto his neck so he can't turn his head. You have to let him know you mean business.

You are the center of his universe and he would really like you to be his mate. Keep it up and use the broom if you have too. Don't even let him get close. and when flattening him put one hand at the base of his neck so he can't turn around and try to bite. Or hold onto his neck so he can't turn his head. You have to let him know you mean business.

LOL I guess I must be! He has two other females that he mates with (you'd think he'd be satisfied with the two he has!) Thanks for the tips! I know I'm a bit of a novice with this, but I do appreciate the assistance haha.

LOL I guess I must be! He has two other females that he mates with (you'd think he'd be satisfied with the two he has!) Thanks for the tips! I know I'm a bit of a novice with this, but I do appreciate the assistance haha.
Mine has 3 and he still wanted me.. go figure. but I think if you are consistent you'll get through to him, my guy will seek me out when I go out to visit or do chores and if he's in one of his moods and starts biting I just push him away and walk off. When I first had this problem there were a few who said put him down don't even mess with an aggressive drake, there was no way I would even think that way, we'd had him in our home as our baby from hatch, But others encouraged me into training him like this and it's worked out, even if I do have to remind him at times that's okay too.

Back
Top Bottom