Aggressive Pekin

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Lucy Duck, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Lucy Duck

Lucy Duck Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2014
    Hi everyone. I have a male Pekin who was raised with my female Pekin, one male Campbell and five female Campbells. Today I noticed him grabbing the Campbells by the necks and being really rough with them. At first he seemed he was attempting to breed them but he just kept going after all of them. They are all about four months old right now. Any advice?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

Sounds like hormones are kicking in, some drakes are pretty rough when breeding and some like to let the girls know who's boss just by grabbing them roughly. . If he is injuring them by pulling out their feathers and causing red skin then you may want to put him in his own space it's only going to get worse. How is he towards the female Pekin? if he is okay with her why not separate the to breeds and see if he settles down. Of course best thing would be to get a couple more Pekins for him so he won't be so hard on the 1 Pekin duck.

Welcome to BYC[​IMG]

3. Lucy Duck

Lucy Duck Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2014
    I guess I was just hoping he was having a bad day. I did have one other male Pekin, the two of them were ganging up on the Campbells so I gave one male to my sister who has two females. I have not noticed him being mean to my female Pekin. I have been trying to plan out a new place to put my males so they are not all together all the time. I guess I'll have to come up with something quick. I am new to ducks but my family and I just love them!! Thank you for your help.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

Even with all the things those hormonal drakes can put us through and their girls they are all still a joy to have, Hope you can figure it out and everyone can live in peace, sort of.. lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by