Aggressive pet rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Garjzla, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Try to tame him

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Slaughter him

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. Train him not to

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Garjzla

Garjzla Overrun With Chickens

Nov 28, 2014
    Oregon
    I have a very aggressive Sultan bantam rooster, he attacks me from the front usually, and won't continue and get scared of me (though I don't punish him or anything, I literally just say he won't get any Easter gifts if he continues the bad tempurment:p) but I noticed a big problem when I was feeding them pasta, he attacked my back, and once he walked away he was still in attack mode. I have never in my life hurt him, he has be spoiled and treated well, to the others I am their mother, no their enemy!
    I'm afraid it may be because I always let me chickens be the bosses of me so I think he thinks he is more dominant than me so I'm not welcome in his pen, but I have to take care of them, and I can't have a rooster attack me every time I pet my bantams!

Please help! Isn't there a way to fix this without harming the rooster?

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    He sounds like an idiot to me, and needs to go. Too small for dinner, but not a good flock member of sire of another generation. Mary

1 person likes this.
  3. Garjzla

Nov 28, 2014
    Oregon
    ...Don't call him that please, he's my baby:(. But are you sure? I don't eat chicken so I wouldn't dare kill one!

4. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Your "baby" is preventing you from taking care of the rest of your flock. You need to to do something about that.

2 people like this.
  5. Garjzla

Nov 28, 2014
    Oregon
    Is their a way to train it out of him?

6. Toddrick

Toddrick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2014
    Indiana
    The best thing you can do to tame him is to grab him and hold him for a while. That lets him know who's boss without hurting him. You might have to grab him at night from the roost. The only problem is that he will likely continue to attack everyone else who doesn't hold him.

I've been dealing with a stinker of a rooster for almost a year now, and he is about to get "replaced".

7. Garjzla

Nov 28, 2014
    Oregon
    No one goes in their pen, and I don't want them to, so really that's a bonus. I will try to just hold him at night, but he won't be happy.

I really try my best to avoid that. I want to treat them like I'd treat humans, I wouldn't slaughter a mean person, well, because it's illegal:p

8. JadedPhoenix

JadedPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
    3 people like this.
  9. Garjzla

Nov 28, 2014
    Oregon
    Yes, good advice. I have found out he has been attacking my hens aggressively and I can't have my babies being attacked and tortured every night. I am literally in tears right now, I am desperate to find a home who wants him as a house pet. Take him away from his hens and territory and his aggression will go away, oh I hope. I cried for a incredibly long time because I have failed to protect him from being aggressive and now he has to pay, but I will not slaughter him, I could not imagine that. I need to find someone who wants a house pet, sultans are gentle chickens, the most gentle I've seen, surely there's SOME way to stop him from being like this, he used to be such a perfect little boy!

10. JadedPhoenix

JadedPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    In reality, many times, nothing that you could have done might have prevented him from becoming aggressive. It is sometimes in their genes. That is why it was mentioned above to cull him to prevent him from passing on his genes to the next generation. In all honesty, I don't see someone wanting to knowingly take in an aggressive rooster. But to be honest, he doesn't really need to be a "Pet" in the same sense as you've allowed him to be. He needs a superior. The only way to really solve that issue will be to find someone with a top rooster who will take this rooster down a notch or two. I had to do that last year with a roo who was starting to show signs of aggression. Once I gave him away, he was no longer the top rooster and he learned real quick that the main rooster on that mini-farm wouldn't allow him to behave in the same way he was accustomed to.

With your next rooster, try to baby him less. Keep the line between you (being the alpha) and him (being the beta) very clear.

ADD: You never said how old he is. It could be hormones acting up. In either case, he needs to be taken down off his high perch.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by