aggressive pullet - will she outgrow it?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by estamets, Aug 7, 2014.

1. estamets

estamets Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2014
    Anaheim, CA
    We have 6 pullets, 4 are 12 weeks, one is probably 11 weeks, and one is probably 10 weeks. We got the two youngest as 6-8 week olds, from a crowded bin, and they naturally displayed more stressed behavior than the 4 we raised from day-olds.

The youngest, a BR, is starting to display more aggressive behavior than the others. While they all do a little chest-bumping and hackle-raising, she jumps at the others with her feet, and this morning jumped on top of my poor, sweet, Speckled Sussex's head.

Is this behavior because she's the smallest, and the bottom of the pecking order? If so, will she outgrow it once her size matches the others'?

Or is this aggression something she'll always have? Should I think about rehoming or culling her?

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    The pecking order will change as chicks grow up, and it is not unusual for younger ones to take on older ones that used to be dominant to them... there is always a dominant bird in the flock, usually once they all agree on who it is things will settle down. Occasionally you do get a bird that is just a bully, but I wouldn't give up on one so soon. One other thing is, are you sure it is a pullet, young cockerels are often a lot more aggressive than pullets.

3. estamets

estamets Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2014
    Anaheim, CA
    I definitely had that thought - I'm 95% sure she's a pullet. Her barring, leg size, tail feathers, etc all say so. I'm keeping a close eye, though. Thanks for the wisdom!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by