Aggressive pullet

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jody78, Apr 13, 2012.

1. jody78

jody78 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2012
    I brought my flock in to the brooder tonight after being outside for almost a half hr. Immediately, one of the chicks became aggressive with the rest of the flock. The feathers on her neck stood up, she stood still and made growling sounds. Is this the start of determining the pecking order, or was she just being plain mean? She isn't doing it now. My husband picked her up twice and held her upside down like you would a roo, but it didn't work… Please help?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  2. peep peep

peep peep Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2012
    Georgia
    I have a cochin frizzle chick (that's a boy :3 ) that flies at other chicks and jumps on them and things. I think after observing him for a while now that he was just establishing the pecking order. Just my guess! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    I think it's a pecking order thing too. Sometimes one of my hens will snap at the others, feathers on neck standing up. Sometimes they even do that with my shoe, which they obviously think is a threat. :lol:

4. annamcc314

annamcc314 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 29, 2012
    Van Buren, AR
    I would like to know too, I have two pullets that fly at each other all the time, ugh.

5. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    Several of mine are trying to be top chick. They chest bump and stretch their necks, and do the zooming/chicken bowling thing but they don't hurt each other.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by