Aggressive Pullet

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Peep-Chicken, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    A pullet I have who I hatched and raised from a chick has gotten aggressive over the past month or two. She hatched in May and was a only chick, I was not able to get anymore chicks to be with her. Her mother is not mean and is a RSL.

So Copper, the pullet, will drag her wing like a rooster, and will make low clucking noises and slowly approach you. If she gets close enough, she might peck you. When you hold her, she will make those angry noises and tries to peck your face. She drew blood from my hand, so I ususlly hold her at a safe distance with my winter gloves on. In the coop, she figured out that she can jump on the nest boxes and resch me when I'm counting the chickens. So I have to stand back and even then, she still tries to get you.

Ideas why this is happening and what I can do about it?

2. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    was she nice then suddenly mean? She may just be a mean bird. 2 of my 3 RSL's are super mean like that to me and the other chickens...they are also extremely skidish. Lol, my only nice RSL is named copper too...it fits RSL's [​IMG]

3. Peep-Chicken

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    It was kind of gradual.

Thank you. Copper does for RSLs :).

4. Peep-Chicken

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    But are yours aggressive enough where they try to draw blood?

5. cityfarmer12

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    interesting. welcome :)

One is sometimes, but not all the time. the other one just pecks, flaps her wings, and runs extreamly fast at me (or away from me when i try to catch her). The only chicken that drew blood all the time were my cornish x...they loved to peck as hard as they possibly could.

6. Peep-Chicken

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    Okay thank you.

7. cityfarmer12

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    yeah, no problem :)

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Do you have a picture?

9. Peep-Chicken

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    Sure, why?
    [​IMG]
    She's the gold one looking at the camera.

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    She needs to be trained to respect you, just like any other animal. Don't let her close enough to you to peck, for starters. You start deciding when she gets to come close to you, this is no longer her decision. She does not get to approach you for a few weeks. When she tries, chase her away. She's not the boss, you are. After a period of time, start inviting her to come back into your space, but any sign of aggression or pecking behavior means she gets chased away again. No treats, no rewards until she accepts your invitation to be in your space and is not aggressive to you.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by