Aggressive Pullets?

Jasper_899

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 20, 2009
Alaska
I have 4 pullets that I got from the local feed store as chicks. I raised them and they were all very shy and scared of people, but I did my best with them. I got one RIR one Red Sexlink and 2 GL wyandottes. The two GLWs were the shyest of the bunch and the other two were a little braver but still were scared. I handled them everyday until they were old enough to free range with my buff orpington hen. Then a few weeks later I got a EE roo. And everyone hated him, poor guy was beat up for the first few weeks. Then eventually they let him sleep in the coop at night and then he became second in the pecking order. The BO hen was always the top chicken. Then when she passed away ( we think she was egg bound) The Roo became #1. And now its winter time and its too cold to let them out to run around and I noticed that my RIR and m Sexlink have been rather bossy I noticed that their shyness toward humans totally vanished as soon as they layed their first egg. They try to push past me to get out of the coop when I check for eggs. And its kind of annoying. And when I stick my hand out they immediately peck me. It hurts too, its not a little curious peck. Its a peck like they are pecking at food. I used to feed them treats, but recently I haven't. Maybe they are mad at me? The GLW are still shy they never get close to me, but Im alright with that as long as they dont peck me.

I'm a little worried that my RIR will get worse. I noticed that my Sexlinks comb was bleeding a few days ago, but its fine now. I wonder if she pecked her. Jeeze, my roo is probably the most well behaved chicken I have right now.
I'm not sure what to do, if I should punish them or just leave them be. I have never had to punish a chicken before for pecking except an old roo that we had he was mean, I just kicked him but my dad told me too.

I'm happy that I'm getting 3 eggs a day now
big_smile.png
but I wish their aggression would stop. We are currently converting my rabbitry to a chicken coop and its way bigger than my chicken coop. Its about 10ft by 12ft And I love it, cant wait to add the chickens. Maybe more space will make them happier. They cant even stretch their wings in the coop I have them in now.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
smile.png

More space should help. My RIR hen was so ornery that I suspected her of being a rooster. A few days of a bigger coop and free ranging changed her entirely. She still freaks if she sees a strange chicken, though.

Quote:
Alright, she will have to wait about 2 weeks though we just need to build the nest boxes and roost and ramps and I want 2 brooders but the wait will be worth it ^.^

Back
Top Bottom