Aggressive RIR

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TyWilk18, Nov 24, 2013.

1. TyWilk18

TyWilk18 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2012
    I just introduced my month old chicks into the coop and I have a RIR hen that is very aggressive towards them. Chasing them, pecking, and trying to rip feather out of the little guys neck. :( Anything I can do? I know they are going to pick on them at first but I think she's over exaggerating "Pecking Order" at this point. Out of my entire flock she's the most aggressive.

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i wonder if one month is a little young yet? i put half of a cat litter box in my coop and start them there so they have a place to hide and get away when needed

3. shmeggs

shmeggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2013
    this may be normal. I have rir and red sex links. my rir hens are more aggressive toward the red sex links especially one hen in particular.

4. TyWilk18

TyWilk18 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2012
    Some of the chicks are Red Sexlinks and she seems to be picking on then more than others but still being a nuisance to everyone @shmeggs

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  5. shmeggs

shmeggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2013
    that is my same experience. my sex links get picked on. back in the summer I was mowing yard and my hens were free ranging in the yard one of my rir hens charged the lawn mower. me and my wife were discussing changing our flock to opingtons.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by