Aggressive RIR's?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by reilersjr, Feb 7, 2014.

1. reilersjr

reilersjr New Egg

Oct 9, 2013
    Just picked up 5 chicks this morning, two RIR's, two barred rocks, and one ameraucana. The RIR's are pretty much bullying around the other 3. Is this anything to worry about? I mean, whenever any of the other chicks tries to eat, one or both of the RIR's will hurry over and peck them so they will stop eating... Is this normal behavior? I've only had two leghorns a loooong time ago and never remembered those two getting into it with each other.

Just concerned,
    Rick

2. MyPetNugget

MyPetNugget Enjoying the cold!!!

Our RIRs tend to bully some of my chickens too... I think they might be finding their place in pecking order though. How old are your chicks? It might help to put in more feeders and waterers in, so they don't fight. If the fighting is too bad then separate them for 2 days, then put them back.

3. reilersjr

reilersjr New Egg

Oct 9, 2013
    Chicks are 3 days old. I agree I think they're working out a pecking order... And something else I just realized. The brooder with the RIR's had about 30 chicks in it while the one with the barred rocks had only about 15. Same size brooders. Probably less contention for food/water with the Rock's vs. RIR's.

Hopefully it will work out shortly. I'd hate to have meanie chicks...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by