Aggressive Roos Issue

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Piper1998, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Piper1998

Piper1998 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2011
    Hoping someone can help with this. I have two 5 month-old leghorn roos that are trying to - well - they seem to be trying to kill my 5 month-old cochin pullet. I almost made them into soup this weekend, but thought I'd better straighten out and find out what's going on first. I have a total of eight 5 month-old leghorn pullets, two 5 month-old cochin pullets, two old hens, and a 5 month-old silkie roo. Do I have too many roos for the flock? I've seen posts discussing a certain number of pullets to the roo to keep everyone "settled" and I'm not sure if I'm out of kilter. Any advice out there before I make leghorn roo stew?

2. DebbieDee

DebbieDee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Boise
    By what I have read you have 2 too many...[​IMG]

3. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Cochins and Silkies are generally the most docile of breeds. Leghorns are known to be a bit on the aggressive side.
    You make the stew, I'll bring the salad.

4. Piper1998

Aug 25, 2011
    Cochins and Silkies are generally the most docile of breeds. Leghorns are known to be a bit on the aggressive side.
    You make the stew, I'll bring the salad.

That's too funny! Now, I haven't done this yet, but I'm sure I can. I'll let you know how the stew tastes:)

5. Piper1998

Aug 25, 2011
    Turned out that pullet they were beating up was a roo; he crowed a few days after the onset of the trouble. Now they're all in the freezer :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by