Aggressive roos...

Discussion in 'Quail' started by VickieB57, Oct 23, 2013.

1. VickieB57

VickieB57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2013
    I went out today to weigh my 6 week old roos. Tomorrow I’m dispatching them and I want to save the largest 3 or 4 for my hens. I found one of the largest with a horrible gash on his head. His feathers on his head were missing too, so I knew what had happened. I cleaned him up and put some Neosporin on the injury and put him in a separate cage to heal. While weighing the other roos it became evident to me who the aggressor was, and it so happened to be another one of my larger roos. Both of the birds happen to be in the top 3 of the roos by weight. (I have 17) I’m thinking I need to get rid of the aggressive bird, no matter what his weight is, and keeping the injured one. What would be the advice of the more experienced breeders?

2. SonSet Farm

SonSet Farm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2012
    hangin' in the coop
    I am not a breeder, but I have not room for an aggressive rooster. We had a beautiful rooster last year, that wasn't beautiful enough to make up for the flogging me and girls had to endure. And there is no need for that, because we now have 2 of the most gentle sweet rooster, both to me and their girls. I just can't take watching a mean rooster hurt my girls...but there is nothing more relaxing then watching a good rooster parade his girls around the yard, finding them treats and taking care of them =).

1 person likes this.
  3. ChicksandWeeds

ChicksandWeeds Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2012
    Northern California
    hm, that aggressive at 6 weeks old, i am surprised - unless they are very crowded and bored - or bred for aggression. i had 32 roos last year - the first 17 i had to finally split up at 3 1/2 months because it was simply too much for the hens (only 9) ...so ...also found it early to decide at 6 weeks, i don't think my current main roo had crowed yet by then, in fact, only the fayoumis did. you will also want a roo that crows fairly early. and yes, if that "aggressive" roo isn't just having a hormone spike and/ or is living in a too crowded environment but does have an aggressive temperament - i would not breed him for my flock. i want health, fertility, good size (though not necessarily extra large as it does get so hot here) AND good temperament - last but not least.

4. Quailgood

Quailgood New Egg

Jul 31, 2013
    Personally I would gst rid of the offender. I have tried keeping aggressive roos and change conditions in hopes that they would eventually calm down. Only to have nothing change. It isn't fair on the other birds. Even if he only hones in on one victim i find it still upsets all the quail. With the aggressors gone everything magically calms down and you can almost see the relief on their little faces lol. I have only been at this for a year but if it were me I'd x him.

5. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    I agree with everyone and I'd also like to add that I won't tolerate an aggressive hen either. I'll put her into her own cage (albeit much smaller than the community cages) so she can live her days laying eggs, but she will be quarantined from the rest so she doesn't injure any hens or roos (I've had a roo beaten up by one hen).
    Just my 2 cents,
    James

6. VickieB57

VickieB57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2013
    Thanks for the replies. Yesterday was dispatch day and the rough roo was sent to freezer camp. I put the injured fellow in his own cage so he could heal. He did well yesterday, but today I noticed him moping in the corner so I put him in with the girls for a few hours. He seemed happy for a while, but then the other birds started picking at his injured head, so I pulled him back out and into his own cage again. He seems to be doing better after his visit with the others. I might give him a few hours a day with the others until he’s ready to move back in permanently.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by