aggressive rooster advice?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BethanyS, Dec 5, 2012.

1. BethanyS

BethanyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2012
    middle Tennessee
    Foghorn Leghorn is about 8 months old now and has become very aggressive in the last month. some days if I walk around him with my head down I can manage not to get flogged but as a general rule I expect to get my legs flogged when I'm in the backyard expescially in the chicken coop getting eggs. I use to be able to shoo him away swinging my legs arms or even a trash bag but now that does not work. maybe I should not have intimidated him into leaving me alone because now he's not intimidated lol. now I try not to irritate him but when he does come at me I go grab a hold of him and carry him around the yard and into the coop with me. I've tried to feed him treats and he just bites my hand although he will pick up treats off the ground. I handled them all everyday when they were chicks they see me everyday I still love my rooster even though he attacks my legs. does anyone have any advice for me?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
  3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    You didn't intimidate him into leaving you alone, apparently. He now thinks he's the boss of you and you're agreeing. If you want to continue to let a bird dictate what you do, continue to keep him. I've not had luck re-training a rooster. I'd invite him to dinner. Roosters aren't for everyone, and if you decide to try another one in the future, I'd advise against handling him a lot or loving on him. Treat him with distant respect and he'll usually do the the same for you.

4. BethanyS

Nov 14, 2012
    middle Tennessee
    I had not planned on getting a rooster 1 just ended up to be. them all being white leghorns I could not tell them apart for a while anyway. 1 day 1 crowd and that's how I knew lol he is great with the hens and will protect them at all cost even against a dog. I wish he had more trust in me but it makes me proud that he will protect his girls. I have a new batch of chicks now 1 of my RIR is a rooster advice and I do give all of them very special attention. I don't plan on eating foghorn I just didn't know if I should submit to him and ignore the flogging and hope he stops , if I should continue what I'm doing and just pick the little stinker up when he gets after me, or if I should be more aggressive with him. I don't want to make him my enemy right now I can at least getting the pin and mess with them i just might get a rough slapping on my legs if I get cornered by him lol

5. BethanyS

Nov 14, 2012
    middle Tennessee
    He is not a horrid bird.they slept inside till they were 3 months old.i hand fed them as chicks.he comes running when i call him and makes sure the girls stay together when free ranging. but he had gotten so he won't let me pick him up and bounces off my legs mainly when im in the coop and my back is turned.but yesterday i was in the yard and he got after me.i try not to run or turn my back on him.lol if i run through the yard no matter where he is he ends up on my heals

6. BethanyS

Nov 14, 2012
    middle Tennessee
    Ill try harder not to get in his way.What should i do when he does flog me?

7. nova022

nova022 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2012
    You should not tolerate his behavior another minute. If you allow him to flog you he could very well decide to flog other people, possibly a child. Read the thread offered above and if none of those methods break him of the habit and you don't want to eat him, rehome him to someone who feels they can change his habits. There are plenty of nice roosters out there if you want to have one for flock protection.

8. BethanyS

Nov 14, 2012
    middle Tennessee
    That thread was about roosters being aggressive with hens and the only solution was eat um.lol they are all being sold together when my new chicks go to the yard.i was hoping for advice on change his habits myself. im just not sure if i should be killing him with kindness or fighting back when he comes at me or none of
    the above :p

9. nova022

nova022 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2012
    Oh, sorry. There are a few good threads with actual advice, I thought it was one of those. Most of what I can remember is carrying the roo around, which you are doing and holding him to the ground until he become submissive. I am sorry to say that the only method I have seen in action was immediate execution when our rooster flogged my brother. My mother didn't play around. Good luck breaking him of that habit.

10. BethanyS

Nov 14, 2012
    middle Tennessee
    Thanks for the advice. it's not just all out attack he pretty much just bounces off of me . I'm going to try holding him on the ground and see if that helps. these are my first chickens and they were all hatched and grew up together my hens really love him. I hope I can break him of this bad habit. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by