Featured Aggressive Rooster - Best Rooster Breed

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Aleelupton, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Aleelupton

Aleelupton Songster

Jul 3, 2018
    Warren, Ohio
    I currently have a 14 month old Olive Egger rooster (Blue Ameraucana × Black Copper Marans) that is extremely aggressive towards humans. He is great with the hens and is very attentive and always alerts them to food, predators, and when it's time for bed. However, we recently had 2 intruders and he did NOTHING. We had a neighbors Guniea visit our coop a few weeks ago and it pecked one of our hens a few times and the rooster didn't do anything about it. Yesterday we had a skunk in our coop because we left the doors open for them to free range and again the rooster did nothing. It seems that the rooster only protects the hens against us. My 3 year old niece loves the chickens and I would never forgive myself if the rooster attacked her. He's already scared away my mother in law and to be honest I hate him. We are considering getting rid of him and are wondering if there are specific breeds of rooster that are known for being great with the flock and docile towards people. Any advice and suggestions are appreciated :)

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Crossing the Road

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Oh wow, you are going to get answers all over the board on this one.
    People are going to tell you about their experience with a single friendly rooster they own like Orpington or Silkie.
    IMO, breeds that are aloof and skittish are non-human aggressive and friendly breeds will attack because they have no fear of you.
    I've had over 30 breeds of chickens and have been attacked by a handful of roosters till I verified that they taste just like chicken.
    I now only raise black Penedesencas. After about 100 or so of these roosters, not one has ever indicated an inclination to attack me. They are also very protective from predators. I even witnessed one dropping a hawk out of the air.
    Some have met their demise by giving themselves up to save the flock being taken by coyotes and Siberian Huskies.
    Here's what they look like.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/black-penedesenca-hatching-eggs.1235753/#post-19829873

EggWalrus, fawnda, BYC910 and 12 others like this.
  3. Peppercorngal

Peppercorngal Crowing

Feb 5, 2018
    Feather Falls, CA
    I don't believe that there is a "breed" of chicken that has nice roosters guaranteed. There are many factors involved. I have 4 very respectful/nice roosters, and they are all different breeds. I believe the raising of them has a part, but sometimes a rooster is just bad! I had a real bad rooster and he was raised the same way as my nice roosters. They have personalities and one can't predict a bad rooster. That's my experience anyway. You don't have to have a rooster at all, have you thought of that? :confused:

EggWalrus, rascal66, BYC910 and 17 others like this.
  4. amanda1

amanda1 Songster

Aug 5, 2015
    I’ve been mulling over the same thing. I am wondering if roosters with the hawk-like eyes and look are more aggressive than those with more rounded, and dark brown eyes. I don’t have a lot of rooster experience, but I have found that the hens with big, round, dark eyes are friendlier than those with the hawk-like look.

For now I’d just make sure the 3 year old is well supervised around him.

5. Aleelupton

Aleelupton Songster

Jul 3, 2018
    Warren, Ohio
    They're so pretty! Thank you for the suggestion! I have heard that Lavender Orpington roos and Swedish Flower Hen roos are typically docile, but I know every chicken is different. My guy was great until he hit 7 months and no matter what I did he still was incredibly aggressive towards everyone. When he attacks my husband he holds him down on the ground for a few seconds and then picks him up and holds him for a few minutes. I take a stick with me when I do chicken chores and try to show him who's boss, but that seems to make him more mad. I've also tried to distract him with treats. Nothing works.

EggWalrus, fawnda, BugMunch and 4 others like this.
  6. Aleelupton

Aleelupton Songster

Jul 3, 2018
    Warren, Ohio
    I free range my girls a lot on a big piece of property. We have not had any issues with predators other than the skunk yesterday and I have seen a hawk or two over the last few months. For piece of mind I want a rooster to protect and alert the hens. Plus we hatch our own chicks.

7. Peppercorngal

Peppercorngal Crowing

Feb 5, 2018
    Feather Falls, CA
    You need to re-home him or sell him ASAP. It just takes a second for tragic things to happen. This child is NOT SAFE.

8. MaryMaryTurkeyGirl

MaryMaryTurkeyGirl In the Brooder

Jul 6, 2019
    Muskoka, Ontario, Canada
    Hi, I HAD the same problem and he only got worse when people came over. Last week he attacked me and broke my arm. He was a large Barred Rock, which are usually a lot nicer, I don't know why he got like this but I had to put a stop to it. He actually injured several Family members but I wouldn't take a chance on him nailing 1 of my Grandkids. FYI, my Hens are much happier, too. I tried several things, clipped his wings, trimmed his Claws, (back ones), even tied Him up. (that was heart breaking and I'd never do it again) but he just got more aggressive, the more I tried to intervene. I hope someone out there has a better solution then what I had to do.

Hcchic, BugMunch, tuesdaylove and 3 others like this.
  9. Aleelupton

Aleelupton Songster

Jul 3, 2018
    Warren, Ohio
    I don't let her go out to the chicken coop until he is secured in the run. We don't free range them all the time so they are usually secured when she comes over. I'm afraid he will try to jump at her through the fence though or peck her little legs or feet when she walks by the run. He does it to me all the time. I don't want him to scare her and instill a fear of chickens.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    BugMunch, Mimi’s 13 and starri33 like this.
  10. Aleelupton

Aleelupton Songster

Jul 3, 2018
    Warren, Ohio
    Ugh it's so hard! I love him because I raised him and he is my first boy, but at the same time I hate him and he terrifies me and everyone else. I just can't seem to correct his behavior. I'm so sorry you were injured. That sounds terrible!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: