cluckmecoop7

💙🖤💙🖤
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jan 4, 2019
Maine
My Coop
My Coop
My brother’s rooster is extremely aggressive. He even stares me down from across the yard while in the run. He’s only 4-5 months old.
When I collected eggs for my brother this afternoon, he came in the coop with his hackles up and tried to flog me when I pushed him away. This isn’t the first time he’s been excessively aggressive either.

BUT…. here’s the problem. He ain’t my rooster. If he were mine, he’d be soup already. But my brother defends him like he’s a little innocent baby. 🤦🏻‍♀️ His name is Solomon (and yes, he has many wives).
244FC5AB-4D56-4890-8B63-A715913F0A20.jpeg

That's a nasty bird to have aggressive... They're big, so therefore they could cause a lot more injuries than a smaller breed. They're also harder to defend against. I suggest bringing a stick with you to keep around your heels. Swing it back in forth so he doesn't come near. Also, if possible, lock him up while you're around. Like if you're hanging out in the yard, lock him in the coop. If you're in the coop, shut the chicken door so he doesn't follow you in. Once he gets his spurs to a good length, you're not going to want to be around him at all.

So...does your brother not take care of this bird himself?
No, he does. But I’m the one in the family with “chicken experience”. He’s brand new basically. Every time I mention that the rooster is aggressive he says “No he’s not… awww sweet Solomon!” And everyone else defends him as well (most of which are clueless about chickens).

No, he does. But I’m the one in the family with “chicken experience”. He’s brand new basically. Every time I mention that the rooster is aggressive he says “No he’s not… awww sweet Solomon!” And everyone else defends him as well (most of which are clueless about chickens).
If any one person says "not sweet", not sweet. Remove from flock.

Back
Top Bottom