Aggressive rooster/ integration timing question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Nksg75, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Nksg75

Nksg75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2014
    Ok everyone, I have a question for you. Since the topic is aggressive roosters, I am in need of advice.
    I won't ask you what I should do, as I believe for safety sake(I have 3 kids), mr. Sizzler (yes, I named him that after we found out he was a smooth sizzle)will have to go!
    What I am asking is on the timing of Mr. Sizzles departure.
    Ok here it is
    1. I have 4 adult hens 3 silkie/1EE
    2. One of the silkies hatched 3 chicks about 4 weeks ago. Chicks are in the run with mom and rest of hens, and mr sizzler himself
    3. I have 5 pullets(approx 13weeks old) I hatched and have them in run for about 3 weeks separated from adult hens, momma and chicks, and mr sizzler by hardware cloth.
    I do free range all of them together and all is well, little spats, but nothing extreme.
    I want to remove the barrier and fully integrate them. I was under the impression that roosters keep a peaceful balance in the flock.
    Mr. sizzle is awesome with the hens, and the new chicks. I am hoping he can make the transition easier, and then once all is well he can disappear.
    He is aggressive with my husband. He is constantly after him, trying to spur him.
    Of course he is fine around everyone else, however I have 3 kids, and that could change. I am in no hurry, as the coop is at our farm and my husband is the one who checks on them every other day. I unfortunatly am only able to see them on the weekends due to kids school. So the kids won't be in danger of getting hurt. My husband and I need sugesstions on timing mr sizzler a departure.
    Before or after I remove the barrier?
    We are going down this weekend to add sand to the run, and wanted to have a plan. We are going to remove barrier and needed advice.
    See below so you may get a better idea of what I am talking about.
    The barrier is on the right side of the pic. There is hardware cloth in the middle so they have been able to see each other for weeks now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Most integrations require an initial mingling with you supervising to see how it goes, and to see if there's going to be troubles. The rooster may help, or if he's younger he may just chase chicks himself. I haven't had a rooster defend any chicks from hens pecking at them, so I believe he will be of no help and may be a hindrance because he could attack as you are trying to separate out the young ones, or break up troubles. So I personally would be rid of him. There will be an initial shake up of the pecking order with the older birds and it just might give you an edge to integrate a bit easier. More than likely you won't notice too much difference, and each group will return to their own coops.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Remove the rooster as soon as you're able. Thinking he's going to smooth integration is overthinking things. You'll want him out of the way so you can interact with and enjoy your flock.

4. Nksg75

Aug 18, 2014
    Ok, thank you. You brought up a good point about the 2 separate coops. So I am to assume that they will continue to roost in their separate coops even after the barrier is removed?
    Any suggestions on that?
    If you noticed the coop to the left of the picture, it was a gift from my mother in law. She did not realized that when the websites advertise that it will hold 10-12 chickens, it was really meant for possibly 4-5.
    It's annoying that they do that. It came with that tiny 3x6 run, and after seeing it, I said No way! So I built the entire expansion, and then when my 7 month old silkie went broody, I had to hurry and make a separate coop closer to the ground, so the chicks wouldn't fall.

5. carlf

carlf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Mobile, AL
    If you already decided to get rid of Sizzler, just do it.
    If they already free-ranging together and no more than little spats, they should be fine.
    Will they still use separate coops? Who knows, let them figure it out!

6. Nksg75

Aug 18, 2014
    Ok, well said!! I have no idea about where they will stay at night . I just had to make more room because the premade coop was so small .
    The premade coop was one of those that you can't add onto Or at least I didn't have to skill to do it

7. 5danehouse

5danehouse Out Of The Brooder

So, I have the opposite problem. I want to integrate a rooster with my young flock of pullets. My first chicken was a beat up stray copper maran rooster that a friend rescued and gave to me last fall. he is a real gentleman and he has been waiting quite patiently for my flock of 50 mixed pullets to mature. The oldest pullets have just come to the edge of lay( born mid- April with 3 little eggs so far). The youngest were born mid-June. There are two barred rock cockrels in the June batch and they are in with the pullets already(both are practicing their crows). I want to integrate the old guy so that he can be boss. I don't want to put him in too soon for the pullets to be ready for him. Does anybody have a suggested time line for his integration? He would really like to be with the girls! :) Thanks for your help.

8. carlf

carlf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Mobile, AL
    Sounds like they are ready for him. Just let him join them and see what happens.

9. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Agreed. You won't know until you try and see how it goes. Sometimes they go in and that's it. Other times it a back and forth thing, putting him, than removing him if there are troubles.

10. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

I understood your question as others seem not too?

Yes, time to get rid of the Rooster in my opinion being he is aggressive...Let all the birds together...They will argue and peck each other but they will figure it out...

Enjoy the birds.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by