1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Aggressive rooster needs to gooooo!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by whittychick, Feb 28, 2014.

1. whittychick

whittychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2013
    Cape cod
    I love my Henry but he however doesn't return the same feelings! Every time I open the coop door he tries to attack me! Whyyyy?! I'm the hand that feeds him! Help! What and how do I change this!

2. whittychick

Jul 28, 2013
    Cape cod
    I whack him and he charges at me harder...I'm out of patience!

3. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Serve him up with some dumplings.

1 person likes this.
  4. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    He is trying to intimidate you, to become the head of the flock. There are a couple of things you can try. Picking him up and carrying him around is one. Squirting him with water is another. But if he has repeatedly attacked you it is an up hill battle. The best thing may just be to get rid of him. In my experience aggressive roosters are not worth the bother. Oh and by whacking him he thinks you are taking up his challenge so he is upping his game by coming back harder. The only way to win that is to act like another rooster would and keep at him till he backs down, and that might lead to injury or death.

5. whittychick

Jul 28, 2013
    Cape cod
    Thanks for the advice! It just stinks that he's like that! He's only a year old! I'll try and hold him and show him who's boss!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by